A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Warning Light Reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Teamelevation
So is there any special way to change the front brake pads or is it just a typical change like any other car?
Same way as a normal car, just maybe more pistons.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you already did an Audi you shouldn't have any problem, otherwise look at Bentley or Elsa,it is not difficult at all.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Easy

You just retract pistons by either prying on inside pad before removing and discarding it (so you don't care if you mess it up), or by using the old C clamp method with a block of wood to span the two pistons. Hardest part is simply refitting the retainer clip that you pry off and then have to re fit on the wheel side of the caliper.

Suggestion BTW, clean or replace stainless clips where the pads slide, and at least lubricate the sliding pin area where the caliper "floats"/moves. Or, if you have a fair number of miles, replace the rubber bushings through which those pins fit. Those kind of bit parts are sold in jobber kits under various recognizable brand names (Raybestos, etc.). rockauto.com has them as one example, besides dealer parts that is. Those bit parts can keep bad action smoother and maybe eliminate various slight brake functioning noises or issues as the miles add up.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You just retract pistons by either prying on inside pad before removing and discarding it (so you don't care if you mess it up), or by using the old C clamp method with a block of wood to span the two pistons. Hardest part is simply refitting the retainer clip that you pry off and then have to re fit on the wheel side of the caliper.

Suggestion BTW, clean or replace stainless clips where the pads slide, and at least lubricate the sliding pin area where the caliper "floats"/moves. Or, if you have a fair number of miles, replace the rubber bushings through which those pins fit. Those kind of bit parts are sold in jobber kits under various recognizable brand names (Raybestos, etc.). rockauto.com has them as one example, besides dealer parts that is. Those bit parts can keep bad action smoother and maybe eliminate various slight brake functioning noises or issues as the miles add up.
Thanks for the great info. Just one last question. My light came on this past saturday So what kind of grace period do you think i have to get this done?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Teamelevation
Thanks for the great info. Just one last question. My light came on this past saturday So what kind of grace period do you think i have to get this done?
1000-2000 miles of average driving. Highway miles like I just drove to and from Dallas, 3500-4000 miles. Thus, it's all relative

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-06-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
1000-2000 miles of average driving. Highway miles like I just drove to and from Dallas, 3500-400 miles. Thus, it's all relative
+1

Let's put it relative: enough time to buy parts and organize replacement, but not enough to forget about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

+2 Not drop everything instantly, but get it taken care of in weeks, not months.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the gurus on this site - Brozee, who posted above - was kind enough to pass this on to me, and I found it perfect for my brake light - which the codes indicated was the rear brake pads (I'd changed them a while back, and apparently did NOT follow the correct procedure). I followed the COMPLETE procedure for rear brakes, after the pads were installed in this YouTube. Wunderbar, when I finished the error light and the error codes were both gone. Used Ross-Tech software and connections for the procedure, of course.

Watch this video:

At the 6:20 mark, it goes in to JUST the A8 rear brakes, but assumes the previous procedure has been done. DON'T forget the battery charger, and DO connect it properly.

OOOPS - probably an error on my part, as the 04 model may be different (mine's an '07). But it will now be here for anyone like me who had the warning about the rears (or just wants to do a brake job) and does a search on this Forum. Thanks again Brozee.

Last edited by Gary Knox; 01-06-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by williebone
"Ditto" on MB's reply! You can not do the Rear Brakes w/out VCDS/Vag.

Steps are as Follows:

1) Plug in VCDS
2) Turn Ignition Key to Accessory (Dash Lights Up)
3) Start VCDS
4) Activate Parking Brake (On)
5) Deactivate Parking Brake (Off)
6) Go to Parking Brake Module (VCDS)
7) Go to Adaptation and Select Open Brake Motor (Drop Down Menue)
8) Select Close Brake Motor (Drop Down Menue)
9) Exit Module (Back to Main VCDS Menue)
10) Turn Key off for 5 seconds
11) Turn Key On
12) Go back to Parking Brake Adaptation and select Pad Thickness
13) Enter your Thickness or just Enter 10 if you like
14) Hit Test then Save
15) Exit Module back to VCDS Main Menue
16) Turn Key off for 5 Seconds
17) Turn Key on
18) Go Back to Parking Brake Module and select Fault Codes and Clear it!
19) End

I know some of these steps could be elliminated, but better safe than sorry. Hope this helps and good luck. Laters,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thanks. I changed my rear pads (EPB) last night. Measured thickness and everything.

I forgot to put the new thickness in the VCDS and got the parking Brake sensor light. Followed the steps and cleared the code all is well.
Needless to say these instructions are in my new Audi file for my recent purchase.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Warning Light Reset