A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Warning Light Reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys sorry for bringing an old thread back to life, I was just curious what happens if you don't plug a battery charger and do the rear brakes? Whats the worse that can happen?

I did replaced my front and rear brakes using my friends VCDS. I should have checked on this website before knowing that there was a adaptation thickness setting to do, which I apparently skipped. Everything works fine (Parking Brake works fine), but I'm get a warning light on my dash (attached photo) It just says BRAKE PADS! with that yellow circle yellow light. Is this because I had skipped the adaptation thickness setting or because I didn't use the battery charger? Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Pad Warning Light Reset-img_20170703_155643.jpg  

Last edited by Audios_79; 07-04-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It is likely due to the fact that you did not follow the correct procedure.

The electronic parking brake module is delicate and requires that the process be followed to the letter. Failure to do so can result in damage to the module.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
It is likely due to the fact that you did not follow the correct procedure.

The electronic parking brake module is delicate and requires that the process be followed to the letter. Failure to do so can result in damage to the module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZJj39FZ3s
Yes, it was my mistake, I should have checked up on this forum for the procedure before doing the brake job. I just relied on a incomplete detail off the Audi worship manual a friend of mine had.

Well my parking brake works fine, it engages and disengages correctly. Since I had skipped the adaptation setting thickness (4:25 in the video), if I do just that step and run a function test, could that solve my warning light issue? or do I need to start all over from the beginning of step 1 till the end?

Steps are as Follows:

1) Plug in VCDS
2) Turn Ignition Key to Accessory (Dash Lights Up)
3) Start VCDS
4) Activate Parking Brake (On)
5) Deactivate Parking Brake (Off)
6) Go to Parking Brake Module (VCDS)
7) Go to Adaptation and Select Open Brake Motor (Drop Down Menue)
8) Select Close Brake Motor (Drop Down Menue)
9) Exit Module (Back to Main VCDS Menue)
10) Turn Key off for 5 seconds
11) Turn Key On
12) Go back to Parking Brake Adaptation and select Pad Thickness
13) Enter your Thickness or just Enter 10 if you like
14) Hit Test then Save
15) Exit Module back to VCDS Main Menue
16) Turn Key off for 5 Seconds
17) Turn Key on
18) Go Back to Parking Brake Module and select Fault Codes and Clear it!
19) End

Last edited by Audios_79; 07-04-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

No the wheels do not fall off, nor the brakes fail. I never did it w/ battery charger, and switched ignition off after opening brakes. I don't leave VCDS running either, given my decade old XP laptop. It can be finnicky to get it reset after the fact, and sometimes takes a few tries. The steps in the instructions about actually cycling the ignition are the ones I usually forget, since not done w/ other VCDS stuff in general.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
No the wheels do not fall off, nor the brakes fail. I never did it w/ battery charger, and switched ignition off after opening brakes. I don't leave VCDS running either, given my decade old XP laptop. It can be finnicky to get it reset after the fact, and sometimes takes a few tries. The steps in the instructions about actually cycling the ignition are the ones I usually forget, since not done w/ other VCDS stuff in general.
Thanks for the clarification , ),so if I do just that Adaptation and thickness setting and run a function test, could that solve my warning light issue? or do I need to start all over from the beginning of step 1 till the end?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Audios_79
Thanks for the clarification , ),so if I do just that Adaptation and thickness setting and run a function test, could that solve my warning light issue? or do I need to start all over from the beginning of step 1 till the end?
You go through all the open and close steps, just no pad change. Yes, it should turn off light as long as nothing else is wrong. It has turned mine off when the thickness setting didn't stick. A shortcut simply to see if that is your issue is to look at the pad thickness measuring block--the same one you reset. If it says 3 or less, light will be on and getting it reset should solve.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You go through all the open and close steps, just no pad change. Yes, it should turn off light as long as nothing else is wrong. It has turned mine off when the thickness setting didn't stick. A shortcut simply to see if that is your issue is to look at the pad thickness measuring block--the same one you reset. If it says 3 or less, light will be on and getting it reset should solve.
Thank you! Will check it out and report back on here, hopefully that should solve my warning light issue.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cboogie
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thanks. I changed my rear pads (EPB) last night. Measured thickness and everything.

I forgot to put the new thickness in the VCDS and got the parking Brake sensor light. Followed the steps and cleared the code all is well.
Needless to say these instructions are in my new Audi file for my recent purchase.
Yeah And it worked perfect for my Audi A8 D3. Thank you very much. It was big issue.