A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling W12 owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was an 05 with 82k on it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got off the phone with a local dealer and they said that it would cost over $6k!! Their Maintenance Manager didn't even think that you could get just the valve and might have to buy an entire new head. Dreams smashed. So I am going to refocus my search on an 07-08 4.2 A8L.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cain74
I just got off the phone with a local dealer and they said that it would cost over $6k!! Their Maintenance Manager didn't even think that you could get just the valve and might have to buy an entire new head. Dreams smashed. So I am going to refocus my search on an 07-08 4.2 A8L.
I just bought an 07 A8 myself. Totally and completely in love with it. It took me a month or two, but I was very specific in looking for the ventilated seats with the massage option (which is heavenly after a long day). I also was holding out for one with the Bang & Olufsen sound system, which is out of this world.

Let me know if you want any help in pricing one. I have access to Manheim Auctions and can give you up to the minute wholesale cost.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
I just bought an 07 A8 myself. Totally and completely in love with it. It took me a month or two, but I was very specific in looking for the ventilated seats with the massage option (which is heavenly after a long day). I also was holding out for one with the Bang & Olufsen sound system, which is out of this world.

Let me know if you want any help in pricing one. I have access to Manheim Auctions and can give you up to the minute wholesale cost.
Pmdeaver did you get a w12 or V8? What are blk on blk 2007 A8L going for?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Still a no go, but to your later posts...

I expect you can get a W12 valve. Maybe not from Audi, but otherwise. Certainly I have bought them for other Audi's, and found them listed for 4.2 from OE type suppliers. The W12 is essentially two six cylinder VR6s mated around the crank conceptually, so absent a W12 specific listing I would be looking at VR6 parts listings.

It could just have a cracked ring, which in turn could be from an over rev, though it's rev protected by the ECU(s) generally. Or, a leaking injector that washed the cylinder walls too much and then the rings got fried. Could have ingested something too, though that perhaps more likely leads to a bent valve. All kinds of scenarios actually. Finally, as I mentioned earlier, it could actually just be the head gasket, and if no overheating, steam or overpressurized oil vapor situation, then perhaps an intercylinder leak (though seems like at least one more cylinder would then show an issue). That would be the lucky dice roll of the bunch.

Per others' mentions, the ring scenarios can often be isolated by squirting in oil and compression testing "before" and "after." By carefully inspecting the plug involved, the cooling system (bubbling/over pressurizing, the exhaust (for extra water vapor) and the oil cap (pressure or coolant mixing), head gasket issues can often be diagnosed. Then by elimination you end up w/ the bent valve scenarios.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-21-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default May I ask

Where is this vehicle ? Do you have a listing ?

Thanks, Johnny
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cain74
Pmdeaver did you get a w12 or V8? What are blk on blk 2007 A8L going for?
I went with a V8. My practicality wouldn't allow me to get a V12 (for fear of the outrageous repair costs).

Just saw where a black one in San Antonio with 44k miles went for for $21k. That's extremely RARE. Not sure what the circumstances were - could have had some issues, rebuilt title, etc. There's definitely a story with this one - just don't know what it is.

To illustrate how low that was, a white one with 43k miles in Florida sold for $30k.

There's a champagne colored one that sold in Tampa for $24,100. I actually offered the dealer $24k for it prior to auction and buying the one I bought, but he wouldn't budge off $24,600 (wholesale to dealer). I was especially interested in this car because it had everything I was looking for (ventilated seats, Bang & Olufsen, plus adaptive cruise).

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, all those cars I just referenced are 2007 A8 L's...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the listing.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=323875489

my wife would try to make me get rid of my M5 for this project. That is not going to happen. Love my M.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought this car. I figured with how common coil packs fail on audi that is probably what it was. Well it isn't I will be pulling the engine on this shortly to get it fixed. Did the dealer you took it to ever figure exactly what the problem was? headgasket or bad valve or what ever? I am going to do a leak down on it this coming week but any information you have on this car would be helpful. In my quest for a 500hp a8

Quick Reply: Calling W12 owners