A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get HID light working

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cannot get HID light working

My passenger-side HID headlamp (low beam) started going out a while back; it would flicker off,but turn back on if I cycled the lights off and on again. Because there are three dang parts that some call "ballast" depending where you search or purchase them to each headlamp assembly (the AFS / aiming "Pre-AFS" computer; the computer module; and the igniter, I had ordered the wrong part initially and installed a new computer (the one on the far side of the headlight assembly). After this, the light worked for a bit although of a different color, and then stopped working all together again.

So, I ordered the ballast - the part that plugs into the bulb - and two new Kensun 4750k bulbs. I removed the ballast and bulb today and tried changing just the ballast with the old bulb; no go. Then I tried both new ballast and new bulb, no go. Tried old ballast and new bulb, no go. I plugged in the power adapter that goes into the igniter in all cases, and set it on top of the plastic housing and would then turn the headlights to ON. The drivers side (the good) headlight turned on, but still nothing from the passenger. Not even a flicker. I tried orienting the bulb inside the ballast multiple ways, no luck.

Any ideas? How would I diagnose this?

It's driving me insane. It's also very, very hard to reach this stuff. It should not be this difficult to change a damn headlight. After this experience and my Infiniti QX4 HID problems, I have grown a very strong distaste and dislike for HID systems.

Thanks

Naudi
Old 05-03-2018, 01:56 PM
The Transporter

Bump -- any ideas? The HID light should turn on if it's out of the case and a new ballast / igniter (the Hella one) is plugged into a new bulb and the lights are turned on, correct? The HID light was not lighting up. Absolute mystery as to why not. The previous light had flickered on and off for a while, then eventually died; we replaced the computer (the wrong "ballast" it turns out; not the igniter, but the computer module itself) for that light and , with some knocking on it, the light came back on for a bit burning less bright and then died again. Figured it had to be the igniter or the bulb, and replaced both, but again it did not turn on when I had the bulb/igniter out of the headlamp assembly and sitting still on top of the case. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any other requirements for it.

I really don't want to have to break down and take this to the stealership..

Thanks
Naudi Guy
Old 05-11-2018, 06:01 PM
The Transporter

Dropped off the car on Wednesday to my local Audi dealership after Meineke had no idea - I didn't think they would, but it was worth a shot. A new ballast and bulb were installed but did not light up, so turning it over to the dealership they got these items and a "please help" statement. They've had the car for two days now and have given me a loaner car while I wait. When given the loaner, you're lower on the list since it's not urgent they repair it but it has been two days now and I haven't heard anything aside from "keep the car an additional day".

The loaner? A 2017 Audi Q5 2.0 w/ the upgraded B&O sound system. It's pretty damn sweet and handles very, very well. A lot more futuristic than the D3 A8L but certainly not as "classy" or "luxurious" feeling. The vehicle has a freaking mouse-pad/track-pad (similar to a laptop) on the center console, a permanently popped up screen (hmm, maybe time to stop my screen from trying to go down - which is futile, since the gears are broken, until I replace the gears with the bronze replacement I ordered - and mimic this?), and a good personality. Very sporty, very fast, and great handling for a "SUV" or a cross-over, whatever you'd call it. Definitely slick.

I'll let everyone know what the problem with the headlight is upon hearing back but I'm going to place my bets on a wire being loose somewhere. I say this because after replacing the main computer for the headlight and moving the wires around, it worked for a few minutes and burned out. Proceeding to knock on the computer modules and wiring a bit, the light came on and worked normally - although dimmer and a soft color blue/purple - but then burned out two days later. So I imagine they're having to do a trace down the wires until they find whatever is loose or disconnected or jiggling and causing it. I'm hoping it's not going to cost an arm and a leg. I provided them the replacement ballast (OEM - Hella 5V igniter) and bulb (not an Osram OEM bulb but a Kensun of the same type, D2S, and temperature 4750K or whatever it is). I'd be happy with them just identifying the problem, fixing the wire, and then letting me install the light if that is indeed the case.

I am just wanting to save as much money as possible as I am going to then have to repair the broken window winder part in the drivers side window well where a chunk of metal is pushing outwards, pressing on my window, and both destroying my freshly applied tint as well as causing a whistling noise when driving down the road due to the double-paned glass having pressure as the metal is pushed against it. I also need to identify why in the world I am getting leaves into my HVAC system and the subsequent blowing of those leaves into my cabin from the front passenger-side center vent!

Regards,

Naudi
Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
Dropped off the car on Wednesday to my local Audi dealership after Meineke had no idea - I didn't think they would, but it was worth a shot. A new ballast and bulb were installed but did not light up, so turning it over to the dealership they got these items and a "please help" statement. They've had the car for two days now and have given me a loaner car while I wait. When given the loaner, you're lower on the list since it's not urgent they repair it but it has been two days now and I haven't heard anything aside from "keep the car an additional day".

The loaner? A 2017 Audi Q5 2.0 w/ the upgraded B&O sound system. It's pretty damn sweet and handles very, very well. A lot more futuristic than the D3 A8L but certainly not as "classy" or "luxurious" feeling. The vehicle has a freaking mouse-pad/track-pad (similar to a laptop) on the center console, a permanently popped up screen (hmm, maybe time to stop my screen from trying to go down - which is futile, since the gears are broken, until I replace the gears with the bronze replacement I ordered - and mimic this?), and a good personality. Very sporty, very fast, and great handling for a "SUV" or a cross-over, whatever you'd call it. Definitely slick.

I'll let everyone know what the problem with the headlight is upon hearing back but I'm going to place my bets on a wire being loose somewhere. I say this because after replacing the main computer for the headlight and moving the wires around, it worked for a few minutes and burned out. Proceeding to knock on the computer modules and wiring a bit, the light came on and worked normally - although dimmer and a soft color blue/purple - but then burned out two days later. So I imagine they're having to do a trace down the wires until they find whatever is loose or disconnected or jiggling and causing it. I'm hoping it's not going to cost an arm and a leg. I provided them the replacement ballast (OEM - Hella 5V igniter) and bulb (not an Osram OEM bulb but a Kensun of the same type, D2S, and temperature 4750K or whatever it is). I'd be happy with them just identifying the problem, fixing the wire, and then letting me install the light if that is indeed the case.

I am just wanting to save as much money as possible as I am going to then have to repair the broken window winder part in the drivers side window well where a chunk of metal is pushing outwards, pressing on my window, and both destroying my freshly applied tint as well as causing a whistling noise when driving down the road due to the double-paned glass having pressure as the metal is pushed against it. I also need to identify why in the world I am getting leaves into my HVAC system and the subsequent blowing of those leaves into my cabin from the front passenger-side center vent!

Regards,

Naudi
Good luck, sorry we couldn't be of more help! Whenever I went to purchase my car the headlight went out. The orignal owner said that he wasn't going to sell it in that condtion and took a $1,200 loss the day he sold it just to have the ballast and bulb replaced.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to say bad internal wiriing harness inside the headlight body. Only fix is to replace the entire assembly. Just did it on both sides of my 2005.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 AM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by jlbell
Good luck, sorry we couldn't be of more help! Whenever I went to purchase my car the headlight went out. The orignal owner said that he wasn't going to sell it in that condtion and took a $1,200 loss the day he sold it just to have the ballast and bulb replaced.
I remember reading your post about this. That's awesome that he did that considering the sheer amount of value lost on the resale - wow! Honest guy.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:36 AM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by ohsigmachi
I'm going to say bad internal wiriing harness inside the headlight body. Only fix is to replace the entire assembly. Just did it on both sides of my 2005.
I hope not .. $$. Those headlamp assemblies from the factory are good dough. If this is the case, I'll have to order one from elsewhere and either install it myself or find someone to do it / help. I cannot stomach paying Audi the $1k+ to do that for a single headlight. Although, I have been wanting to replace both assemblies as they're both very foggy and oxidized from the interior. I have done the sanding, polishing, etc on the exterior of the lense and yet it persists looking horrible from the inside. Condensation also builds up pretty badly. Very irritating.

Regards
Old 05-12-2018, 11:39 AM
The Transporter

Audi just got back to me and, while nobody is there today to talk about it, the sheet they sent me shows that they recommend replacing the headlamp control module / computer. I replaced this as the first course of action when the headlight started to go out a few months ago and, while it eeked out a day or two of reduced functionality, it acted in the same manner as the one previously in the car and died. "Hitting" it and knocking around wires is what seemed to get the headlamp to work - not the computer swap.

I sent an e-mail to the service advisor and let him know that the module in there is a new one, and that it's probably something else. If I agreed to this, they'd charge $800 (plus the $159 already in for the vehicle diagnosis) to get it and install it and find out that it's not the cause of the problem, and down we go into more repairs. I'm assuming the tech came to the conclusion because the module isn't receiving power and their VAG/VAS/whatever system says it's not operational.

More to come Monday I'm sure... argh. At least I have that Q5 loaner =D
Old 05-12-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
Audi just got back to me and, while nobody is there today to talk about it, the sheet they sent me shows that they recommend replacing the headlamp control module / computer. I replaced this as the first course of action when the headlight started to go out a few months ago and, while it eeked out a day or two of reduced functionality, it acted in the same manner as the one previously in the car and died. "Hitting" it and knocking around wires is what seemed to get the headlamp to work - not the computer swap.

I sent an e-mail to the service advisor and let him know that the module in there is a new one, and that it's probably something else. If I agreed to this, they'd charge $800 (plus the $159 already in for the vehicle diagnosis) to get it and install it and find out that it's not the cause of the problem, and down we go into more repairs. I'm assuming the tech came to the conclusion because the module isn't receiving power and their VAG/VAS/whatever system says it's not operational.

More to come Monday I'm sure... argh. At least I have that Q5 loaner =D

That is painful! I would pay the $150 diagnostic charge and walk away, as you have already replaced the ballast, headlight control module, ignitor, and bulb. It is most likely internal wiring as someone suggested above, or external wiring. Take it home and tear it apart to inspect the wiring, or let audi do it. If there is no concern for the wiring then it is the headlight itself, which you can find here:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...tro-4e0941029p

Probably about half the price audi would charge! Also comes with a lifetime warranty!
Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 AM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by jlbell
That is painful! I would pay the $150 diagnostic charge and walk away, as you have already replaced the ballast, headlight control module, ignitor, and bulb. It is most likely internal wiring as someone suggested above, or external wiring. Take it home and tear it apart to inspect the wiring, or let audi do it. If there is no concern for the wiring then it is the headlight itself, which you can find here:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...tro-4e0941029p

Probably about half the price audi would charge! Also comes with a lifetime warranty!
I also found one on eBay in good shape, with all three modules (AFS, computer, and ballast) for $269 shipped. How difficult is it to replace one of these headlights straight out? From what I understand you must remove the bumper if you want to replace the whole assembly, correct? And if I'm replacing the assembly versus just the computer or the bulb, etc. what am I assuming is toast in the assembly itself - some of the wiring going into the lamp? I noticed that the wire that powers the igniter itself goes into the assembly but couldn't see any further than that as I had only removed the air box and hadn't loosened up the assembly.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cannot get HID light working