A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Mat vs. Molded Carpeted Trunk Mat

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Mat vs. Molded Carpeted Trunk Mat

Ok, so the challenge is to keep the new baby clean while transporting the new baby. That is, I'd like to keep our A8L nice and fresh while riding around our 10-wk old so he falls asleep. We already have a wonderful seat-saver for the carseat base (bought that back in A6 days), but now we're getting ready to run around with the stroller.

Strollers have wheels, wheels roll on the ground, ground is always dirty, often wet and sometimes snowy. Of course, I don't want all that muck (and melting snow) in the trunk, so I'm looking for a way to protect it. I was looking all over the 'net for a Weathertech trunk-liner, but couldn't find anything custom-fit for the A8L.

Then I came across www.audiusa.com and checked out their A8 accessories... and they have just one, but THREE custom trunk-liners for the 2004+ models!

$97.04 ZAW380500 "Molded Carpeted Trunk Mat w/ Cargo Mgmt" which seems identical to the Cargologic system (http://www.niftyproducts.com/cargologic.html)

$111.40 ZAW452500 "Custom Cargo Mat" which is reminiscent of the weathertech mats.

Both claim to have a "raised lip" to contain spills and such. Does anyone here own either of these two? I'd like to know how far they raised those lips. For practicality, I'm leaning toward the $97.04 molded mat, assuming that the "lip" is at least an inch or so.

Other than that, the accessories are pretty interesting -- while the cargo-liners are fairly competitively priced, $40 seems a bit much for a Sunshade.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:30 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the Molded Carpeted Trunk Mat w/ Cargo Mgmt in my S6

...and must say that it is quite good. The mat is made out of a pretty sturdy pressed board covered in mouse-fur. It really seems quite like the cargologic and parts are made in Canada - but it is all labeled VAG. The raised lip is not that raised, but will certainly contain muck that comes off a stroller. I don't make it a habit to carry around wet stuff, but last winter I threw in boots, wet brollies and snow brushes and a good vacuuming got it back to looking new.

I did have a bag of cement leak back there but I shook it out before I vacuumed and all is well.

The dividers do help with keeping stuff in place, but I'm not sure how long the mouse-fur would last if you removed them often - they stick like they were screwed down.....
Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heck.I'm looking for a small rug to place under my heel near the gas pedal....

I seem to rest my heel in one spot as I engage the gas pedal and it's leaving an indentation RIGHT THERE ( can you see it ). I just want a SMALl NON SKID type "piece of good carpet" that is SABRE in color.

Any ideas.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:28 AM

Default You can have them custom made...

...at http://www.ggbailey.com. Lots of colors to choose from, plus add your own logo and the heelsaver. If you do it, please let us know how it turns out - before I found Audi's accessories, I was ready to order from them.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the third cargo mat...

it's the cheapest of all three. it's about 1/4" thick. more of a liner. also made of foam. it too has a lip which is about an inch. You will need to cut out areas of it where the cargo net hooks are. spills will be contained by the lip surrounding the mat. however, not where the cut outs are as they aren't raised high enough. There is a depression in the mat to coincide with the despression of the spare tire lid.

It has proved itself to protect the trunk. That's really all I was looking for. the others look nicer but i never saw the need for having to organize my trunk - i have enough problems organizing my work desk.

if you want to spend the money for really nice stuff, get the rubber all weather floor mats with the A8 logo on it. i love it.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Got mine from Clair's

I'm not sure which one I got but I ordered it from Clair's and it is an Audi factory accessory.

It is molded and fits the A8L's trunk perfectly. It's a single piece of plastic (I think) with no foam backing to it.

It works very well though it was shipped rolled up so I had to put some weights on the corners for a day or so before it flattened out in the trunk.

The surface has diamond shaped markings and it is very grippy, so things don't slide around much in the back.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Nice car, we're twinners. As for the mat...

<ul><li><a href="http://collection.audiusa.com/store/accessory.asp?product%5Fid=1645">Is it this one?</a></li></ul>
Old 08-12-2004, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another part from Clairs? First, its XM and now I guess

its ALL Audi parts?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:56 AM

Have you not seen their line of CHEEZE?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:09 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default GGBailey does nice mats, but...

they don't have the snaps for the audi mats so they don't well for us - they look, wear and fit great on my wife's Honda

Quick Reply: Cargo Mat vs. Molded Carpeted Trunk Mat