AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   CD issue (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/cd-issue-2850834/)

viper04 07-18-2013 10:33 PM

CD issue

3 Attachment(s)
Just pick up the Audi A8 a few days ago and like it. I think I'm having a CD' issue. It not playing at all, can load and eject CD's but get a message on the MMI see pic's. Radio works, XM radio works. Have reboot the MMI a few time but no luck. Have a Ross Cable on the way. Any help would be great. Thanks all.

Attachment 84907

Attachment 84908

Attachment 84909

Sorry about the bad pic's camera phone.

snapdragon 07-19-2013 02:23 AM

It looks like you have some sort of aftermarket AUX IN / iPod inetrface fitted that emulates the CD Changer, but it has the same MOST bus (Media Oriented Systems Transport) network address as the CD player.
Can you see such a device or it's cable anywhere, such as glovebox? What is on the top shelf of glovebox.

viper04 07-19-2013 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by snapdragon (Post 24467026)
It looks like you have some sort of aftermarket AUX IN / iPod inetrface fitted that emulates the CD Changer, but it has the same MOST bus (Media Oriented Systems Transport) network address as the CD player.
Can you see such a device or it's cable anywhere, such as glovebox? What is on the top shelf of glovebox.

Snapdragon
Thanks for the reply!! you are right my friend. It seem to be some sore of cord running to the arm rest area, can post some pic of it. Next question how do I remove it? Wanted to update the MMI but can't with-out the use of the CD player. Would it be plug in the back of the CD player. Thanks again all.

Attachment 84903

carterleeds 07-19-2013 06:00 AM

hi yes its most likely in the back of your cd player. its probably going to be a DENSION aux/ipod part installed as they are the most widely aftermarket kit available.

the link if for a youtube video where an install of the dension unit was installed so at least you have an idea to where to start looking and how to disconnect it :)

p.s i only know this as i wanted to install an iphone aux lead into my car but instead of using an aftermarket product i installed through the factory MMI. so now i can watch videos from my iphone straight onto my MMI. all thanks to jhonnyja6q :)

snapdragon 07-19-2013 07:42 AM

Aha. what may have happened is that someone connected it via a daisy chain at the back of the CD player. There will be two daisy chains, one for fibre optic (MOST) and one for power.

The problem is that the either device should have a short jumper cable on the power connector to tell it that it is the second device and this makes it get a different network address. It is a bit like a master and slave configuration. Choose the second device and just connect PIN-4 to ground (PIN-1), that will set it to media player 2 on next power up, then you should see CD 1 to 6 and the other stuff 7 to 12.

viper04 07-19-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by snapdragon (Post 24467107)
Aha. what may have happened is that someone connected it via a daisy chain at the back of the CD player. There will be two daisy chains, one for fibre optic (MOST) and one for power.

The problem is that the either device should have a short jumper cable on the power connector to tell it that it is the second device and this makes it get a different network address. It is a bit like a master and slave configuration. Choose the second device and just connect PIN-4 to ground (PIN-1), that will set it to media player 2 on next power up, then you should see CD 1 to 6 and the other stuff 7 to 12.

Thanks again, was wondering were to get the keys to remove the CD changer. I really would like to remove it and have just the CD player work, I would be find with that.

viper04 07-19-2013 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by viper04 (Post 24467112)
Thanks again, was wondering were to get the keys to remove the CD changer. I really would like to remove it and have just the CD player work, I would be find with that.

carterleeds Thanks for the link also. That was a big help.

sterfry 07-19-2013 11:14 AM

On the MMI screen in the first picture if you press the upper right MMI button currently labeled SOURCE, how many CD players are listed? Some of the aftermarket interfaces show up as an additional CD player and you have to select the OEM CD changer as the source before you can control it.

viper04 07-19-2013 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sterfry (Post 24467164)
On the MMI screen in the first picture if you press the upper right MMI button currently labeled SOURCE, how many CD players are listed? Some of the aftermarket interfaces show up as an additional CD player and you have to select the OEM CD changer as the source before you can control it.

Thanks all, for your input and help.. What I did was just remove it, and put the factory wiring back to stock. CD works like a champ. It seems all I really needed to do was to move switch 2/5 to on. May put it back later but just want to do the MMI updates first. Once again thanks for your input, you guys really help me out with this. Here it is.
Attachment 84898

carterleeds 07-22-2013 03:45 PM

anytime mate :)