A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Battery. Anything I should need to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Battery. Anything I should need to watch for?

Need to replace the battery. No way this one makes it in winter.

I found this battery
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=battery#

Can I just disconnect the battery and replace with the new one? I know it has some vent tube to look for and get back connected to the new battery.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to code in in with VCDS using a VAG part number, so buy a battery that matches one of the original Ah. 92-95Ah AGM works well with 000915105CE
Even if your new battery is the same as old one, you should code it in by entering a new serial number as if you don't you will probably have problems with it discharging, undercharging and short life. Recoding immediately is not essential for functionality, but the sooner you recode after changing the battery the better.

Last edited by snapdragon; 11-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just change the serial number of the battery by 1 and it should take that as a new battery.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1

Or you just skip coding all together. Battery management will find it's way soon anyways.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
+1

Or you just skip coding all together. Battery management will find it's way soon anyways.
As mishar said, I skipped the coding when I did mine ('06) and it was just fine.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snapdragon
You need to code in in with VCDS using a VAG part number, so buy a battery that matches one of the original Ah. 92-95Ah AGM works well with 000915105CE
Even if your new battery is the same as old one, you should code it in by entering a new serial number as if you don't you will probably have problems with it discharging, undercharging and short life. Recoding immediately is not essential for functionality, but the sooner you recode after changing the battery the better.
Wow. That's news to me lol. I just replaced my original battery after 9.5 yrs on mine with one from o'reillys. My old one was still starting but a little slower than normal. After I put my new one in, it fires up faster with no problem and everything just seems brighter and I've never recoded anything. No problems.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

2k, he's correct, you need to re-code so the BEM system will think there's a new battery in there. Just change the S/N by one character...keep it simple.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are about 10 variables stored in the BEM that get zeroed (or 100%'d) when you code the battery. Aging, internal resistance, SOC, capacity etc....

When I had an old battery which I had lots of problems with undercharging and going flat when parked, it would only charge at up to 13.4V but the new one can charge at up to 14.5V. The BEM specifies the alternator output via LINBUS or CANBUS, so I conclude that either it knows the AGM I fitted can take a higher charge rate or it thought the old one was fuller than it was.
Like others say, it would probably work OK, but you want the best for your A8 right?

Audi A8 (4E) Battery Replacement
This procedure details how to replace a battery in a vehicle using a separate battery management control module. See the separate instructions for models where the battery management control module is a slave/subsystem of the gateway.

The following procedure does assume you are using a battery supplied by VW/Audi, all necessary details for the following steps can found on the battery itself. Make sure to refer to the factory repair manual in order to fulfill all additional prerequisites.

[Select]
[61 - Battery Regulation]
[Coding - 07]
Use the pull down menu to select the battery (slave) listed as #1.
[Battery Coding]
Enter the new Battery Part Number (10 or 11 digits).
Enter the new Battery Serial Number (10 digits).
Select the new Battery Vendor.
[OK]
[Do it!]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Your new Battery should now be coded and the Battery Control Module should be aware of the new Battery.

Note: The 10 digit serial number may be preceded by the battery vendor code, for instance VA0 of Varta. If the code is VA0310314E04G then drop the VA0 and just enter 310314E04G. Sometimes the battery part number sticker can cover up the white sticker with the serial number.

If you are encountering difficulty communicating with modules during or after the coding process make sure the battery charger is connected as per repair manual. Click the photo to enlarge.

Last edited by snapdragon; 11-07-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is all great information. I am going to wait to change the battery when my Vag cable shows.
What if you recoded a battery that was getting old. The system might start charging it at full capacity again....? maybe.
Old battery is an old battery. Just a thought.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought my battery from advance auto parts. The battery turned out to be an OEM VW/Audi group battery. I also ordered it off their website and used the coupon code VISA.

Good choice, easy to install yourself.

Quick Reply: Changing Battery. Anything I should need to watch for?