A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Intake Manifold Adapter from coolant box

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Intake Manifold Adapter from coolant box

Greetings all,

Has anyone changed the Intake Manifold Adapter which is connected to the coolant box? Hopefully it is the correct part from Audi dealership. I have a very small leak at that connection and I was informed that is where the leak is coming from. See pictures. Thanks.

Where the Red line is indicated. From the coolant reservoir to the adapter on the side of the oil filter.

Last edited by Basenco; 10-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That plastic piece becomes brittle with age. Mine also broke. I just took that hose from the coolant tank and put it directly into the coolant pipe behind the manifold and bypassed the plastic intake piece. I see no purpose of it, other than a failure point.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
That plastic piece becomes brittle with age. Mine also broke. I just took that hose from the coolant tank and put it directly into the coolant pipe behind the manifold and bypassed the plastic intake piece. I see no purpose of it, other than a failure point.
Can you identify the coolant pipe you're referencing? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll find a picture. Basically, the hose from the bottom of the adapter goes to it. You take the bottom of the hose out, and plug the longer hose from the coolant tank in its place.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll find a picture. Basically, the hose from the bottom of the adapter goes to it. You take the bottom of the hose out, and plug the longer hose from the coolant tank in its place.
A picture would be very nice. Thanks much!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is the pipe located against the firewall. This male end is pointing straight up and a small 2 inch hose connects to your manifold adapter. Then another hose goes from the top of the adapter to your tank.

Here is where the coolant pipe runs, down against the firewall, about 4 inches below and behind the manifold/throttle body/oil filter
Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

An image from behind the engine. #2 is where your hose will connect to the water coolant pipe.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your current coolant hose off the coolant tank IS long enough. It's been awhile since I did it, I had throttle body, intake manifold, fine oil seperater, and intake hose all out. You might be able to get away with just removing the throttle body and air intake hose off. It's tight back there, and you'll need to be able to pry the old hose off, and clamp the radiator tank hose back on. All of this should only cost you a clamp. 20 Cents, blood, and some curse words.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your current coolant hose off the coolant tank IS long enough. It's been awhile since I did it, I had throttle body, intake manifold, fine oil seperater, and intake hose all out. You might be able to get away with just removing the throttle body and air intake hose off. It's tight back there, and you'll need to be able to pry the old hose off, and clamp the radiator tank hose back on. All of this should only cost you a clamp. 20 Cents, blood, and some curse words.
Awesome! I've done all of the above before especially the curse words!!!
Old 10-13-2018, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, I have done exactly that on a 2009 4.2L, I had a leak in the same place... the plastic just disintegrates when you remove the hoses
Here is the link to the instructions and pics.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2869690/page2/

No need to remove manifold. Basically you are removing the oil separator. You can replace that too if you see it leaking oil... but it is pricey.
If you really want to go nuts, this could be a good time to remove the manifold, clean the goo off the valves due to the FSI issues, replace the adapter and oil separator.

I am intrigued by Tstealth's comment that this adapter may have no use at all, other than to fail and cost money.... yah, what does the coolant going through this thing even do... was it some zealous engineers way of just connecting a lower coolant hose to an upper one, when they could have just used a longer hose or a simple coupler.

Last edited by Sci-fi_Wasabi; 10-13-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing Intake Manifold Adapter from coolant box