A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Intake Manifold Adapter from coolant box

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought maybe it served a special purpose, like some Venturi ejector flow, or some sort of cooling. But when I shinned a light down the adapter tube, it was nothing but a connection point.

Not sure why they didn't just mold a rubber tube to drop down and around the oil separator. (Which I've also deleted with a blank plate.)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
Yes, I have done exactly that on a 2009 4.2L, I had a leak in the same place... the plastic just disintegrates when you remove the hoses
Here is the link to the instructions and pics.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2869690/page2/

No need to remove manifold. Basically you are removing the oil separator. You can replace that too if you see it leaking oil... but it is pricey.
If you really want to go nuts, this could be a good time to remove the manifold, clean the goo off the valves due to the FSI issues, replace the adapter and oil separator.

I am intrigued by Tstealth's comment that this adapter may have no use at all, other than to fail and cost money.... yah, what does the coolant going through this thing even do... was it some zealous engineers way of just connecting a lower coolant hose to an upper one, when they could have just used a longer hose or a simple coupler.
Can you provide the part number for the Oil Separator just so I would have it. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I took a close up pic of the part number, it is one of the pics I provided in my DIY.
The adapter that came out of my 2009 had 079133426s stamped on it (which is what my pic shows). The parts diagram has a part that ends in 424... The newer part was actually upgraded a bit, it had some small buttresses where the connection spouts connect to the adapter (which is where my leak was).
Best to give your dealership the VIN number incase it changed in in your 2010 model.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
I thought maybe it served a special purpose, like some Venturi ejector flow, or some sort of cooling. But when I shinned a light down the adapter tube, it was nothing but a connection point.

Not sure why they didn't just mold a rubber tube to drop down and around the oil separator. (Which I've also deleted with a blank plate.)
Wait a minute Tstealth, did you say you deleted the oil separator.... do you have catch can or something in its place... that would be awesome, like giving the finger to the audi engineer who came up with this silliness... saying look, this can be done simply and cheaper (I'm just annoyed because the adapter and separated were expensive and damage prone plastic, and both had to be replaced within 4 years of the car being new).

Last edited by Sci-fi_Wasabi; 03-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did delete the fine oil separator. I attached a hose to the valve cover breather tube, into a catch can and exhausted it down under the car to keep the fumes down. Ideally I'd like to feed this back into the exhaust just after the cat.

Then I removed the fine oil separator. there is an oil return line on the bottom of it, just plug that tube.

Then use the manifold adapter as a template to make your delete plate. I used rtv gasket maker to make it air tight and screwed the plate on.

This of course is for off road use, consult your local laws when doing this.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all who chimed in. I took the car to my mechanic to be sure I had the right part and when he touched the upper hose leading to the adapter the hose broke off so we had to go and finish making the repair. He just replace everything as normal since I had purchased the part already. I'm good to go. Will recheck all in the morning to make sure all is sealed tight.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
That plastic piece becomes brittle with age. Mine also broke. I just took that hose from the coolant tank and put it directly into the coolant pipe behind the manifold and bypassed the plastic intake piece. I see no purpose of it, other than a failure point.
Tstealth32, did you cover/seal a hole in a coolant adapter? Or you won't need to since you bypassed it and fitted a hose directly onto a metal coolant pipe that sits by firewall?

Last edited by KoJackee; 06-01-2022 at 11:11 PM.