A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing oil filter in between oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing oil filter in between oil change

I read somewhere that as an engine gets older, it could be beneficial to change the oil filter in between oil changes. So if changing oil at around 10k, one would change the oil filter 'only' at 5k.

Since the oil filter is on top of my '07 this would be especially easy, if it does indeed make sense.

Would this be wasting a filter or do you think the idea/practice has merit?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, if your logic or common sense tell you. The more the merrier I guess.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just out of interest, what service interval is recommended in the US Audi service book?

Here in Europe it's 10k miles for fixed interval [low mileage] or Variable life - which works out at 16k to 19k miles.

My 2005 A8 has always been on variable life and has just reached 230,000 miles in the last week. Never had an issue with engine ...

Julian
Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Owners manual says change it every 10K miles after the initial change at 5K. In the past with Audis I've changed it every 5K and have never had any engine issues. Do you mean 16km to 19 km? Not sure what variable life is.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Variable Life means the Engine ECU computes oil life left in percent based on short trip driving, highway driving and idle time. My wife's GMC Envoy has that and the interval is between 8,000 and 14,000 miles.

Our A8's can be programmed via VCDS for this function. But, Audi sets North American vehicles for a fixed interval.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Owners manual says change it every 10K miles after the initial change at 5K. In the past with Audis I've changed it every 5K and have never had any engine issues. Do you mean 16km to 19 km? Not sure what variable life is.
Variable life is exactly as 'Mr Bally' explains; the car's sensors work out when the oil change is needed. It forces a change after 2 years but in practice it happens between about 16k and 19k MILES. [We still use Miles in the UK like our US friends].

I've no idea why this practice is not followed in the US; you just need to make sure you have 'Longlife Oil'. That is oil meeting VAG spec. 504.00 - for petrol engines.

I do about 10K miles per year so my oil change service is about every 18 months.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 08-11-2017 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Add oil spec. Comment
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look at the inside of an engine that has been changed every 5k miles vs one that has been changed every 10k or more miles. That should be enough to tell you why some people change their oil every 5k miles.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Take a look at the inside of an engine that has been changed every 5k miles vs one that has been changed every 10k or more miles. That should be enough to tell you why some people change their oil every 5k miles.
Very few people look inside their engines, Richard.

You can change your oil as often as you want, but the poiint is, you don't get any perceivable benefit from doing so.

My engine hasn't been 'looked at' since it was put in the car when built in Nov 2004 and it's now got 230,000 leak-free miles 'on the clock'.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 08-11-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by a_alyte
I read somewhere that as an engine gets older, it could be beneficial to change the oil filter in between oil changes. So if changing oil at around 10k, one would change the oil filter 'only' at 5k.

Since the oil filter is on top of my '07 this would be especially easy, if it does indeed make sense.

Would this be wasting a filter or do you think the idea/practice has merit?
Take it to "Bobistheoilguy".

Yes, changing the filter each trip is best. Seriously, filter quality is the most important thang here, though... and BOB has many empirical results in that regard...
IMNHO, I could not go 10k miles without a filter change (although I have, truth be told).
So yes, spend the extra $7 (case price for Hengst) for a filter, and be sure to drain the housing if the newer cars have that provision.

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Mmm, drink that Kool-Aid marketed by (guess who) the OIL COMPANIES, Richard. Engine appearance =|= engine longevity.
Gotta admit, I prefer a nice, clean view into tho "Olio" hole, but fact is, modern oils (especially at the levels most of WE choose, 504.00) are probably BETTER lubricants/detergents/coolants after 9900 miles than the NEW, CLEAN dino oil we all changed after 3k miles (of autocrossing) back in the '90s! In fact, I think I might use my old, used Audi oil in my '67 chevy, or my '87 Alfa. Definitely going into the 2004 Toyletta....

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
Just out of interest, what service interval is recommended in the US Audi service book?

Here in Europe it's 10k miles for fixed interval [low mileage] or Variable life - which works out at 16k to 19k miles.

My 2005 A8 has always been on variable life and has just reached 230,000 miles in the last week. Never had an issue with engine ...

Julian
Well there ya go. Miles are shorter in Europe, as are most things (I've heard)

Seriously, Audi in EU uses mostly diesel engines, and so they have more severe-duty statistics than we do.
Don't misinterpret this, though. Worst mistake I ever made was to try to "clean" a perfectly-smooth running 250k-mile MB M104 (gas)engine with Rotella (met the spec but veeery high detergent- for diesels).
Damn thing leaked like a sieve after that and the view through the 170 cap was just as black.
-Tom

(170 cap is if you put the "OIL" cap on upside-down. Legendary in the Alfa community for the babe searching out a meccanico who could tell her what the "0170" cap was for)("OLIO")!

-Tomasso
Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you mean "710 cap".

Quick Reply: Changing oil filter in between oil change