A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light/car shaking when stopped

Old 05-31-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check engine light/car shaking when stopped

I was driving home from work and when I was stopped in traffic the check engine light came on and the car started shaking real bad.

I'll be taking it in to the mechanic to see what's wrong with it but does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

I'm guessing it could be a spark plug, coil pack or ignition control module from googling the problem.

what usually goes out first on a 2006 4.2 A8L with 130k miles?

Also how bad is it to drive the car 20 miles at highway speeds while the light is on? I need to drive it to work tomorrow and go to the mechanic on sat. If it's really bad to drive it I'll just uber there.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Look, sounds like a misfire, but that's not definite. Even if we knew that for sure, there are a million reasons why it would do that. Now, in some cases, it would be fine to drive it. In others, you might destroy your motor or make the problem more expensive for yourself. In short, best not to drive it at all if you have a choice. When you go to the mechanic, take it easy on the old girl. You really need a proper VCDS scan, but even a regular one could at least point you in the right direction.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Some vacuum hoses at the MAF or Throttle body popped. Start looking under the hood, check all the vacuum hoses. The car don't just die... Something very simple and these tiny hoses can really cause the symptoms you have. If you take to the shop, they will find something, but they can't just charge you for broken/popped out of connectors hoses. I've fixed so many misfiring by just finding these hoses.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-31-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Add bad fuel pump to the list of possibles. You really need a VCDS scan to avoid guessing, though as stated for motor only a simple OBDII code scanner would likely provide at least some diagnostic info.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-31-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You probably wont blow your motor up but lets say if it's a misfire and you could potentially damage your catalytic converters. I would not risk it.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Some vacuum hoses at the MAF or Throttle body popped. Start looking under the hood, check all the vacuum hoses. The car don't just die... Something very simple and these tiny hoses can really cause the symptoms you have. If you take to the shop, they will find something, but they can't just charge you for broken/popped out of connectors hoses. I've fixed so many misfiring by just finding these hoses.

Cheers,
Louis
where can I find the MAF and throttle body?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Add bad fuel pump to the list of possibles. You really need a VCDS scan to avoid guessing, though as stated for motor only a simple OBDII code scanner would likely provide at least some diagnostic info.
yeah I really need to. I usually just bring it to the mechanic to find out what's wrong with it and fix it myself.

the vcds scanner I found was a bit too pricey for me.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Air cleaner is on the left with MAF with the pipe to the throttle body under the 4-ring cover in the back. Lift the 4 audi ring cover up, all the hoses are under there. Visually inspect them or just tow the car to the shop and wait for the bill. Most of people are pessimistic and think of the worst. I don't, therefore I've never replaced a good part.
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/98-a8...-problems.html
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-01-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7

Air cleaner is on the left with MAF with the pipe to the throttle body under the 4-ring cover in the back. Lift the 4 audi ring cover up, all the hoses are under there. Visually inspect them or just tow the car to the shop and wait for the bill. Most of people are pessimistic and think of the worst. I don't, therefore I've never replaced a good part.
98 A8 D2 MAF (Mass Air Flow) Problems ? Audi
Cheers,
Louis
Absolutely true. Now, I should note there is a hose that hooks up from below that is covered by the MAF and the big tube on mine that had been broken. Easy to break even changing air filter. Worth a check, easy enough, even with it assembled.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by flag_route
yeah I really need to. I usually just bring it to the mechanic to find out what's wrong with it and fix it myself.

the vcds scanner I found was a bit too pricey for me.
Below is an option to the pricier Ross-Tech. It's probably not as robust but better than a generic reader.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light/car shaking when stopped