A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - FAULTS INCLUDED

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

22 ft/lbs . So not very tight .
Old 11-20-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
22 ft/lbs . So not very tight .
Sounds good. Could that be part of the problem?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
Hmmmm. They come already gaped, so that shouldn't be an issue. Did you find any oil in the spark plug wells? wondering if some dripped down and caused a momentary misfire. Try to clear the codes and start it back up. As long as you felt the click of the harness and coils, you should be good, it's a very straight forward process.

I would:
Check to make sure you hooked everything up tightly: Coils, air intake, MAF
Clear codes
Try again
No oil in spark plug wells. Matter of fact each was dry.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Are the coil packs properly seated? What parts did you use? Aftermarket? OEM?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaulW
Are the coil packs properly seated? What parts did you use? Aftermarket? OEM?
Dealer purchased on all!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I suggest that something might not be seated properly. Post the actual fault codes. Is the engine missing/check engine light flashing / loss of power or did you just get codes and they did not come back?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaulW
I suggest that something might not be seated properly. Post the actual fault codes. Is the engine missing/check engine light flashing / loss of power or did you just get codes and they did not come back?
Check engine light flashing and engine missing. I will double check everything once home this evening and let all know of status. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default You may be barking up the wrong tree...

If I read the print out correctly and VCDS is reporting correctly, the misfiring appeared at the 3004 RPM, this seems to point to the intake manifold linkage in front of the engine where people found broken linkage or stuck. This one should happens at 3000 RPM, it may well be a coincident, but I would check that. Here's what people say why they fixed the linkage.
I've just replaced the broken plastic VW arms with machined aluminium arms from gruvenparts.com (~$50, rather than ~$750 for the two VW kits you would require). I have to say, contrary to what the dealer told me, the difference is fairly dramatic. The throttle feels generally more responsive, and the acceleration is significantly improved, especially around the 3000 rpm mark. Just before 3000 rpm, it almost feels now like a turbo kicking in. I'm pretty sure they must have been broken when I bought the car, I've never known the engine feel like this. They're very simple to fit, they clip on to the nipples with a good squeeze on a pair of channel lock pliers. Highly recommended!

It seems the issue, at least on my engine, isn't corrosion inside the manifold. The rotating parts move freely and are actuated by the vacuum diaphragm as soon as the engine starts.
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 11-20-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would go back and re-do that side......and see what happens. It's normally something you touched.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
If I read the print out correctly and VCDS is reporting correctly, the misfiring appeared at the 3004 RPM, this seems to point to the intake manifold linkage in front of the engine where people found broken linkage or stuck. This one should happens at 3000 RPM, it may well be a coincident, but I would check that. Here's what people say why they fixed the linkage.

Cheers,
Louis
All engine codes are non-existent now. I re-checked cylinders 4 to 8 and re-tighten them all. Now I do hear what seems like a small vacuum leak around the area of the intake manifold, will double check that area tomorrow. It's dark and getting late. I did take the car for a quick run and no check engine lights came on or blinked. The car's pick up was very good. I thank you for pointing out about the intake manifold. Will advise more tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - FAULTS INCLUDED