A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Locks stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child Locks stuck on

On my 2006 A8L, my child locks in the rear are stuck on. Both sides. I THINK it happened after the battery went dead in my car and then after it was recharged, the 2 lights on the switches on my driver door were both on. When I push each switch I can hear a faint click from the rear door, but that's it. In the VCDS software, I can go to the rear door (each one) section and do the output tests and select Child Locks and it will cycle between on and off (and the light turns off and on in the switch). I can stop the output test from running while the light is off and then the door works like normal....once. The someone can open and close the rear door and then the light comes back on.

I'm certain it's not the switch. They both worked fine and then they both didn't work simultaneously. And I can hear that faint click in the rear when I push the switches, so it's registering.

Does anyone know how to turn these **** things off? My youngest child is 18 and this is extremely annoying.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Try turning them off and then saving the memory settings for your seat with the ignition on. It getting tied in with the memory settings is my only guess, I know that when you unlock or lock the car, it resets a lot of things to whatever key you have. Just make sure you also have enabled to change settings, that little off button on the door is kind of a weird thing to have, even if I know why it's there.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll try some playing with the seat settings and see if anything changes.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Are you sure you aren't dealing with mechanical child locks that you turn a disc 90° on each rear door jamb to activate/deactivate?

I thought the button on the driver's door is only for the window controls.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Are you sure you aren't dealing with mechanical child locks that you turn a disc 90° on each rear door jamb to activate/deactivate?

I thought the button on the driver's door is only for the window controls.
My 08 A8L works that way. There is a small disc just above the the door latch with a picture of a pad lock and a slot to insert key or flat blade to rotate it.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I've only ever used child locks to annoy siblings riding in the back, never done them on the Audi.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Confirmed my earlier post. OP, use the mechanical switch on the THREE passenger door jambs.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The D3 doesn’t have electronically selectable child door locks? They’re manual and you use the ignition key or screwdriver to turn the slot on the rear edge of the doors between enable / disable.