A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHP Moving Radar from the opposite side?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default CHP Moving Radar from the opposite side?

On the way back from Diamond Peak Ski Resort last weekend, I got a speeding ticket by following the car in front for the whole way without looking at the speedometer. The CHP from the opposite side clocked the car in front for 74 on the 55 zone. He actually pulled both of us together. First traffic ticket in 30 years.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
On the way back from Diamond Peak Ski Resort last weekend, I got a speeding ticket by following the car in front for the whole way without looking at the speedometer. The CHP from the opposite side clocked the car in front for 74 on the 55 zone. He actually pulled both of us together. First traffic ticket in 30 years.
traffic ticket from opposite side moving radar - YouTube

Cheers,

Louis
Ohio's been doing that for 35+ years.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Michigan too. And Texas. I got pulled over driving the Dodge that way twice, doing 7 over on the freeway in the middle of no where. No ticket, though.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, nothing new about that, Loo.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yep, the forward radar in the patrol car monitors oncoming traffic. It automatically subtracts the patrol car's speed and displays how fast you are going. I always slow down when my radar detector picks up an oncoming patrol car. They do turn around and come after you as you experienced for yourself.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never knew that exist

[QUOTE=uberwgn;24795071]Yeah, nothing new about that, Loo.[/QUOTE
First time for everything.
At least he's nice only cited for 65 and Nevada only charges $195.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-01-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

CA too, and even locals like in Fremont is so equipped. I have also encountered it on 431 from Incline to Mt. Rose, though detector picks it up easily. Even on cop bikes now if you look carefully. With CHP it is virtually always in front but also in back window if you look carefully (left/drivers corner, low down in rear glass). I have encountered it on and irradiating the landscape (and the cop), but not used. Can be used though if parked on roadside and you blow by not realizing they don't need to be aiming any radar gun. But on road the oft speeding cop might have a little trouble saying with a straight face he clocked you speeding yet pacing him. Radar detectors find these left and right.

Laser is the harder one, especially some of the overpasses and other tricks you see going back and forth on 80 from Tahoe. You may have seen the laser guys on both Dumbarton but also 880 in Mowry/Thorton type area in the weeds. Not really legal to park like that, especially on bridge, but they do it all the time. A detector just tells you to pull over if its laser. Laser still has to be stationary, while radar with a gun now seems rare to me except some motorcycle cops where they intentionally want to park sideways to get a good look at oncoming traffic.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing new about this at all. In Texas this is SOP. they can even get ya on a divided highway with a significant median. The radar technology is far better than it used to be and its tuff to outsmart them.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually it's all my wife's fault.

Originally Posted by hunterp27
Nothing new about this at all. In Texas this is SOP. they can even get ya on a divided highway with a significant median. The radar technology is far better than it used to be and its tuff to outsmart them.
All our Audis have speed warning set at 70. When she drove the cars, they keep beeping , I changed to 75, and they keep beeping again even at 80. It was set at 85 when I got the ticket. Now they're all set back to 70.
Lesson learned.
I do drive defensively and conservatively. I'm never in a hurry for anything. It felt weird to be asked for driver license and registration. Hopefully Geico doesn't punish me for having 1 ticket in 30 years. Hate traffic school...
Old 04-01-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

State Farm dinged me for filing a claim on a chin spoiler busted on a parking lot. An extra 15% every month got added to my bill for the next three years in exchange for the $189 they gave me for the spoiler. So, don't be surprised if a good record counts for precisely squat.

Quick Reply: CHP Moving Radar from the opposite side?