A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class Action Settlement for water ingress.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Class Action Settlement for water ingress.

I don't know what to make of the proposed Class Action Settlement that certain vehicles, including my '04 A8L, were unduly susceptible to water ingress into the passenger compartment through sunroof drains and/or the fresh air plenum. Anyone else get this notification? Why would I opt out? And where are these drains that they speak of, in the sunroof.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the same notification and as I understand it, it's a change to the recommended maintenance of the vehicle. I do not know of any kind of a 'fix' that AoA would perform such as the coil pack recall. And don't get me started on that!!!

The fresh air plenum is under the hood where your cabin air filter resides. The sunroof drains I believe are visible with the sunroof retracted.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

It's been explained to me that the sunroof drain tubes are over-engineered. They have fittings at the ends designed to prevent dirt/debris from migrating up into the tubes---this is where they clog and cause water back-up. The simple fix (preventative measure) is to cut these end fittings off the tubes. It's highly unlikely that the tube bottom ends will get clogged without the fitting being there, since normal car washing and rain should keep them open.

OK---I wasn't thinking too clearly about the car washing and rain part--- pretty dumb!!!

derf

Last edited by derfA8L; 06-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Ace Ventura

Over-engineered by Germans???? Shocking....wait...not really..<lol>
Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bac2h
Over-engineered by Germans???? Shocking....wait...not really..<lol>
ROFL!!! Yeah, I have a very special place in my (black little) heart for some of the engineers at Audi. I like to call them anti-engineers, since effective engineering is about simplicity. I swear the various engineering departments at Audi don't talk to each other, let alone a service tech. Makes my Mitsubishi Evo look like a miracle of engineering in comparison by virtue of how easy it is to work on.

l8r)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Does water enter the sunroof when it's closed?

Doesn't the sunroof make a tight seal with it's closed? How does water enter the drains?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in sunroof drain?

That's what I was wondering too. May be when you leave the sunroof open in a car wash or driving through pouring rain with sunroof open!

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
Doesn't the sunroof make a tight seal with it's closed? How does water enter the drains?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 04A8L and had a great deal of damage to the car as a result of clogged drains under the hood. Water entered the car under the dash in the foot well. I had a great deal of repair done at my expense and there are still a number of problems as a result of this water ingress. Does anyone know if there is some sort of recourse for this issue? I understand that the dealer will be cleaning the drains more frequently as a result of this suit but that still doesn't resolve my problem! I appreciate all the help in advance.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Ace Ventura

I am MUCH more worried about these drains than the sunroof drains.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Didn't receive any notifications.
Fortunately I haven't had any problems with sunroof drains yet. However water ingress through foot wells (both driver and passenger sides) drives me crazy. It only happens when I have my AC running for a long period of time and then making sharp left or right turns. I guess there is some place that collects condensate from AC and then it enters the cabin.
No problems during heavy rains though.

Last edited by MuHyC; 06-06-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Class Action Settlement for water ingress.