A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very sorry to hear that - but I also scratch my head -

How do they get clogged?
Do you (did you) regularly park outside, sunroof open in dusty environment? Under trees, etc?
I just don't get it - usually my sunroof cassette is clean all year round?

Or does dirt somehow get into them from underneath?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Search. Big negative on the compressed air.

Go in there with 100-150 PSI and watch em blow out or off the fittings buried in the upholstery. But since per this post a member just had his D3 totaled over drains, I guess that's one way to off the car...

Correct way is fishing and vacuum if anything. Since I know it has been posted in last month or so including some good how to's, please search--or just start scrolling down.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by halik
Fuse panel is about 2 ft up from the floor; I would not be shocked if the dealer was out to screw you. Unless it was raining salt water, I don't see how the entire body harness could be ruined, especially given all the wires are insulated.
The fuse panel is that high up but the drain tubes run inside the A-pillars. If they get clogged then the water could definitely reach the fuse box.

Personally I think that an A8 with any kind of water damage is a lost cause. So many electrical issues will develop over time....

JustDriveIt!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The dreaded clogged roof drains are scary. I check mine weekly.
I run it through one of the "touch less" gas station car washes. Once out pull over to get gas and look to see that all four drains are dumping water. They will drain for 10 minutes or so after the wash.
If one plugs I will try the fishing line fix. But knowing one is not working before flooding the interior should prevent this catastrophic failure.
The soapy water from the wash may even help keep the lines clear. It cannot hurt.
Apologies if this has been covered before (or is in the manual), but where can someone best access the drains with, say, an air compressor or similar mechanism?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Apologies if this has been covered before (or is in the manual), but where can someone best access the drains with, say, an air compressor or similar mechanism?
MP4.2+6.0 has already stated a few posts back to NOT use compressed air.
Doing so risks disconnecting the drain hose from the nipple, which would create an even bigger problem.
One would have to then remove the interior roof panels to be able to reconnect them.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EHLO
MP4.2+6.0 has already stated a few posts back to NOT use compressed air.
Doing so risks disconnecting the drain hose from the nipple, which would create an even bigger problem.
One would have to then remove the interior roof panels to be able to reconnect them.
Interesting that the Audi dealer, as part of their oil change service, blows compressed air through the drains to clean them. Wonder if they're aware of the danger of the tubes becoming disconnected by using that procedure?

The only reason I know this is because the service adviser told me I should have had my oil changes done there, and then I wouldn't be in this situation! C'est la vie. About to purchase either a CL63 or CL550, or S600, with warranty, of course!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

If they do they "should" know what they are doing and only use very low PSI.
(very strong should here, I know some former Audi tec's that were useless)

I'm guessing most DIYers would just shove the hose in there at 85 PSI and let it rip.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wrote up a method to clear plugged sunroof drains here

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2878607/page3/
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default That's a great set up for a major and known screw up

Doesn't mean they are working particularly smart, nor that if an issue occurs they will deny any connection or responsibility for it whatsoever, and you probably won't experience the issue until some later rainstorm. IIRC documentation about it says don't do that, so they would also be contradicting the available written materials. Dumb, but doesn't surprise me.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
I don't know if you did any diagnostics on your D3 on your own, but if you did, you will not be happy moving to a MB. Mercedes uses STAR/DAS as their diag tool which basically costs over a grand and you can't do everything you want with it or get "updates"--seems there are still a lot of functions/settings that only a dealer can modify--Merc seems to really want to control the aftermarket once their cars are out of warranty.

In addition, the forums for Mercedes are awful compared to Audi...and BMW, and VW and Porsche--I have been on Rennlist, bimmerforums, golfmk6, vwvortex, IH8Mud, all over the place depending on cars I have owned so I have an informed opinion. The best Mercedes board I have found is MBworld.org, and there just isn't the same degree of knowledge, information and camaraderie as some of the others [and ESPECIALLY this board].

Something to consider as you make a purchase, especially with cars out of warranty. Sorry to hear about the A8 and hope you find something you like to replace it!
You're absolutely right about the Benz forums. Even on MBWorld, I haven't received as good a feedback as do here. This is almost a brotherhood of fellow A8 owners who earnestly want to help one another. Can't tell you how much that means to me. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm close to getting a 2008 CL63 AMG.

Quick Reply: Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!