A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Somebody needs to make sunroof maintenance and protection kit!
This is too catastrophic.

Rains like heck over here too in the PacNW. Roof drains have been an issue for me in lots of cars: the various Porsches that came through, VW Beetle, etc. Lots of gunk to clog things up. I've using compressed air and steel wire.

Depends on the water quality for damage. Pure water will not conduct and nor will it do much damage corrosion-wise. Best thing to do is pull disconnect the battery and start a drying process.

If it flooded the harness, well long term issues, chasing electrical faults. Total the car just to avoid future problems - a shame but I can see the reasoning. Labour $$.

Now for the ultimate sunroof-clogged flooded monster check out this one. It was nasty
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
Somebody needs to make sunroof maintenance and protection kit!
This is too catastrophic.

Rains like heck over here too in the PacNW. Roof drains have been an issue for me in lots of cars: the various Porsches that came through, VW Beetle, etc. Lots of gunk to clog things up. I've using compressed air and steel wire.

Depends on the water quality for damage. Pure water will not conduct and nor will it do much damage corrosion-wise. Best thing to do is pull disconnect the battery and start a drying process.

If it flooded the harness, well long term issues, chasing electrical faults. Total the car just to avoid future problems - a shame but I can see the reasoning. Labour $$.

Now for the ultimate sunroof-clogged flooded monster check out this one. It was nasty https://twitter.com/Garage9_com/stat...32403741134849
FWIW, if you search you can find a post from a guy who seemed to have the best and simple DIY. He used basic weedwacker plastic line with a dulled end. Helps avoid chance of hard wire or something similar digging into/puncturing tubes. Air compressor type air definitely not recommended. If a drain line blows or disconnects somewhere internally that is clogged with some exuberant air pressure, the hurt is only just beginning.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Replacing sunroof and roof lining also going to finally get it tinted
Thinking my sunroof has never leaked but I will check all the drains while I am at it.
All four blocked!!
Got the dewalt vag and duct taped to the hoses one by one and vacuumed till they were partly unblocked then taped the hose to it on low.
Cleaned them all.
Front left was already full of water before I started.
Front right leaks somewhere down the windscreen pillar.
I might put a silicone plug semi temporary permanent in it for the time being until I decide if it is plausible (possible) to fix it.
Best thing to slide inside the hoses would be the hose they use on fridges and water coolers.
It's about 5mm flexible but rigid enough to push through.
Only had about a meter of it and was not long enough.
I don't think the sunroofs leak much when closed.
So if you have not checked your drain hoses you may be in for a shock one day.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Vac the hose

Caught up with young dodsky (Andrew ) before he went back south.
He knows what dodgy drain hoses do its a pain.

Flush the hose

Old 12-11-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
I was skeptical too, and being that I'm the actual insurance agent who insures the car, I had close ties to the adjuster, who I made certain was on his game when it came to settling the claim and making certain we weren't being taken. I physically inspected the car at the dealer (which I also insure) and could see the water damage in both fuse panels on either side of the car. It was a mess. I absolutely LOVED that car and pleaded with the adjuster not to total it. It's not easy finding one with all the options I had, including B&O sound.

I've looked for other A8's/A8L's from 2007 to 2009, but haven't found one with the B&O sound in it, unfortunately. I got a little spoiled by that!
I know this is a late reply, but hoping you are still monitoring! The exact same thing recently happened to me, and my insurance company denied my claim for "wear and tear," and later maintenance? How did you describe the situation to your insurance company that they covered it?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Like I always say; Insurance COmpaNies are your friend, until something goes wrong.

That's why I don't waste money on insurance.