A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Trunk With Remote Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Tiger....

[QUOTE=ltooz_a6_a8_q7;24572684]
Originally Posted by Galco
Louis, how about a schematic for this awesome upgrade? Some of us need a bit more direction. While i can use a solder iron, shrink wrap, etc. would appreciate some details on how you wired the relay (where did you get power, etc) as well as details on the which relay pins go where?

If one can't figure this out, one should not be doing it.

Cheers,

Louis
Hang on Louis, another great contribution to the Forum, thanks for working it out, I like the idea, but comments like your last sentence don't help, IMO. We're here because we need knowledge, and to share knowledge. If your opinion is that we're all too stupid to do the things you do, why bother to waste your time and post them? If you need/want our endorsement, then maybe don't burn your bridges with comments like that...

A little humility goes a long way dude. Just my thoughts....

K9
Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

K9COP,
I always believe in understanding something before doing it, I was serious about NOT to do something if we don't understand, it may ruin the car and it's NOT right. I understand sometimes I don't use the words correctly, but I do mean well, NOT to humiliate anyone.
I'm really sorry if I offend anyone, but when you understand the problem, the problem is solved and the fix is with you for the rest of your life.
I didn't just say, I did explain, now, if my explanation is not well written, then it's my fault, I'm sorry.
There are many types of RELAYS - None of them look the same - Understand the Relay and the operation, then the answer is given.

Thanks for the comment,

Louis
Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
K9COP,
I always believe in understanding something before doing it, I was serious about NOT to do something if we don't understand, it may ruin the car and it's NOT right. I understand sometimes I don't use the words correctly, but I do mean well, NOT to humiliate anyone.
I'm really sorry if I offend anyone, but when you understand the problem, the problem is solved and the fix is with you for the rest of your life.
I didn't just say, I did explain, now, if my explanation is not well written, then it's my fault, I'm sorry.
There are many types of RELAYS - None of them look the same - Understand the Relay and the operation, then the answer is given.

Thanks for the comment,

Louis
Louis, thanks for taking the time, and having the humility to explain and respond. I hear where you're coming from, appreciate the sentiment, and know exactly how you feel, it happens to me all the time in the USA. Thanks again for making the contribution, and for the apology. I think you're a dedicated contributor to this forum, and I'd hate for anyone to mistake your intentions or opinions.

Take it easy,

K9
Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Louis, can you think of a way to modify this...

I believe you can actually remove the connector pins out, solder the wires to them and push them back in the connector - No splicing - and they will be permanent.

If you trace these wires back, they're in the battery compartment. You can do them there, I think, if you do, please take pictures and share.

Cheers,

Louis
I bought one of the units from a Euro electronics firm last year that alows me to close via remote. Very expensive, and a PITA install in wire harnesses behind the battery was per instruction manual...although neat, it was uneccessary as proved by your install.

But I was disappointed that I can not close by door button also. I had thought it a limitation of the car system design, but after seeing the ease with which you achieved the door button function I now think they were probably just playing safe legally as concerns closing on someone etc.

So my question to you is: can you think of a way , using the wires that can be accessed at the latch (or behind the battery, and I can send you their diagram) to enable my already modified system to close via door switch also ?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really don't want to mess around with anything...

In the battery compartment... I think this is the best and easiest way to do this.

Yes, you can send me the schematic, when I have time, I'll look at it. I'm working on kick to open the trunk when my hands are busy. I'm having problems with the PIR sensor. I'm designing voice activated system, I rather say "open the darn trunk" and "close it please" than kicking it to open.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default what youve done is so simple comparred to...

In the battery compartment... I think this is the best and easiest way to do this.

Yes, you can send me the schematic, when I have time, I'll look at it. I'm working on kick to open the trunk when my hands are busy. I'm having problems with the PIR sensor. I'm designing voice activated system, I rather say "open the darn trunk" and "close it please" than kicking it to open.

Cheers,

Louis

the Kufatec and Kunset systems ! They had me tap into a 32 pin connector behind the battery;and also tapping into CAN HIGH and CAN HIGH wires etc, etc, etc ! When the same thing can be accomplished at the latch with easily accessible wires. And for a couple bucks.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am not ashamed to say this:

I love you.

I will be doing this over the weekend for certain.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think they can sell you a simple relay and simple

Originally Posted by awdinut
the Kufatec and Kunset systems ! They had me tap into a 32 pin connector behind the battery;and also tapping into CAN HIGH and CAN HIGH wires etc, etc, etc ! When the same thing can be accomplished at the latch with easily accessible wires. And for a couple bucks.
connections for lots of money. They need to make it seem difficult to get your money. Again, we must understand what we are doing and why we're doing it. The logic is, why can bus? what does can bus do? Why do we need can bus to close a trunk and all the trunk switches are mechanical from the door to the trunk button?
There are efficient engineers and non efficient engineers and I do work for a billions dollar company... Quality and efficiency are required.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again for this awesome information, I did it this evening, and did it in the side compartment of the trunk. I still took the trim apart to make sure I got the wiring right, but you don't have to now!

The key wires are a green with yellow stripe, that's your button, a green with a white stripe, that's your trigger from the front door button or remote control, and anything brown, as they're all ground.

The green/yellow is found plugged into the motor itself, an oval-shaped connector that is impossible to get off with any finesse. The green/white is found plugged into the central convenience module, the module above the battery with the 3 connectors plugged into it, a blue/white connector, a black/purple connector and a brown connector. The black/purple one in the middle is the one you want, if memory serves.

On the motor harness the green/yellow is obvious, it's the next-to-last of the two smaller wires. On the CCM harness it's also obvious, as it's in the corner all by its lonesome. There's a thin ground wire attached to a screw in the rearmost floor portion of that side compartment, I used that to tap the two ground lines. Then dress up your wiring and you're good to go!
Attached Images      
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good way to do it without opening up the trunk...

How do you connect the relay? Which wires are connected to the relay switch? relay coil? Does this one need to press 2 times to close?

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: Close Trunk With Remote Experiment