A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coffee in the MMI...oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coffee in the MMI...oh my!

Seems I recently purchased a very expensive cup of coffee!

To avoid a fender bender, I swerved my A8 immediately after purchasing Starbucks finest (I thought it was a $1.88 cup of coffee). A couple ounces exited the cup and entered the MMI just ahead of the cup holder.

Almost instantly, the MMI entered a new mode of (in)operation. Although it was intermittent for a day (?drying out?), it is now not working at all.

I am working with my Dealership and Audi to understand options. However the repair looks like it could increase the cost of that cup of cofee 1000 times(~$2000).

Have other gone before me on this journey? Any suggestions?

I love the car, however, I see some dissatisfaction brewing.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Sorry to hear it. This is why all food, and drinks other than lidded bottles and cans are forbidden

in my car, much to the annoyance of my family.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ouch! Unfortunately, there have been others that have experienced a similar situation

be it liquid or small solid. Its the kind of thing that one doesnt think about until it presents itself.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default dont drink and drive???

I am sorry to read about your situation. 2g's for a whole new mmi switch panel?

I would honestly think taking it appart and cleaning it all off with alcohol should do the trick.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hope it sleeps OK tonight!

Didn't someone experiment with a flap or shield-like thing that can cover the MMI when you drink?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wondering out loud....

Statements you could make to AoA.

1) Yikes, why the hell would you put cup holders in a location that is next to such a "sensitive" device, I demand to speak to the designer of this car, fly him in from Germany. You didn't warn me of this when I took delivery!

2) How could a german engineer with a right mind be so inept to think this wouldn't happen and you expect me to poney up $2,000!

3) I guess you could have pleaded owner ignorance and hoped there was no coffee residue and just said, "this darn MMI is acting up, please fix it", but of course that "cat is already out of the bag".
Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cause in germany i dont think they use cupholders.....

Its generally for the US market and its an after thought. Most folks arent sipping starbucks at 250kmh.

I do have a propostion. GM teaches Audi/VW how to make a good cup holder, Audi/VW teaches GM how to make an interior not look low rent.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Time to get one of these... Audi Sport sippy cup

Sorry to hear about your caffeinated MMI. I carry one of these in the car and when at Starbucks, I avoid the paper cup routine. Of course it is recommended to close the sliding lid port while it is sitting in the cup holder.

It would not be hard for Audi to make the MMI console water resistant (like the Panasonic Toughbook) but I guess there are not enough victims of this design flaw to concern the folks in Auburn Hills.<ul><li><a href="http://collection.audiusa.com/store/product.asp?product_id=1489">Audi Sport Tumbler</a></li></ul>
Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seems a little high, we encounter this occasionally...your options...

I think the part should be no more than $600, and labor maybe 2 hours. I encountered this with an A6, which is a little more envolved to remove. I gave an option of labor to remove, disassemble &amp; clean. We ended up goodwilling a new one. Another tech has successfully taken apart and cleaned the units in A8's. No guarantee but may just cost you a 2-3 hours labor.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer replaced mine for free and said I'd have to pay if it happened again.

Quick Reply: Coffee in the MMI...oh my!