A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsing REAR suspension on W12, help welcomed..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Audi A8 D3 like to be pampered, warm, operated in CA weather only... Any other extreme weather conditions - all bets are OFF.
As long it fixes itself, I wouldn't worry about it... Got to love A8 engineering.
Cheers,
Louis
1st owner of my car purchased it in Pennsylvania, a four season state and put 56,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner, car based near Detroit and it has 283,000 miles on it. I purposely use it in the extreme cold and snow. It was flawless in the 10" snowfall we had a month ago as well as the disasterous lake-effect snow we get in Southwest Michigan (similar to the Donner Pass stuff but without the steep grades). This car was meant for everything. Even Mojave Desert driving as well as a *****-out only drag-limited run on the Bonneville Speedway.

Proper maintenance is required though. For example, change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals max with the temperature extremes we have in the 48 states.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:49 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
1st owner of my car purchased it in Pennsylvania, a four season state and put 56,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner, car based near Detroit and it has 283,000 miles on it. I purposely use it in the extreme cold and snow. It was flawless in the 10" snowfall we had a month ago as well as the disasterous lake-effect snow we get in Southwest Michigan (similar to the Donner Pass stuff but without the steep grades). This car was meant for everything. Even Mojave Desert driving as well as a *****-out only drag-limited run on the Bonneville Speedway.

Proper maintenance is required though. For example, change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals max with the temperature extremes we have in the 48 states.
283,000 miles...???!!! Wow, that some build quality lol...
How come mine is falling apart around my ears at less than 50,000 then... )':
Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi all,

Apologies for the radio silence on my issue [which I see has digressed into a global climate-effects site - feeling the warmth from Qatar :-) ], which I have been busy trying to fix - but without success!

To bring you up to date;

- Upon removal of the erratic RR sensor it had slightly corroded terminals due to water ingress - probably the reason for the intermittent values? These stabilised after cleaning and refitting. However, now I cannot complete the (required post sensor replacement) reAdaption process. It fails on the input for the last (ch 04) for the RR, with it flicking between Valid/Invalid when entering TEST phase, but never allowing me to complete the process and Save via ch05. Even with rocking the car. Thus leaving me with '01437 - Control Position not Learned' and no ability to select either to Dynamic, or Lift modes and so cannot enter 'Jacking Mode' to jack the car!!

- Andy & Peter at Ross-Tech have been extremely helpful in suggesting 'tweaks' to VCDS to increase stability of 'chatter' to the Controller and avoid time-out, etc (namely: increased the Blk Int rate and within Windows itself), resulting in stable measurements whilst completing the Adaption process and/or the values returned whilst viewing Measuring Blocks.

- I have also replaced the RR sensor with another (supposedly) working pre-owned one with correct part no., in better visual condition than my existing sensor. However, without success, it gives the same readings (as per below logs)

01781 - Vehicle Extremely Un-Level
003 - Mechanical Failure
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100011
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 12
Mileage: 248710 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2018.03.15
Time: 15:51:38

Results;
The car goes through the down-up calibration process, I then successfully input-test-save the first three new adaption settings, but every time a go to Test the RR, it says ‘Invalid’. I have done this several times including rocking the car during this process.
- Amazingly, the RR sensor appears to be working OK (albeit 80-90mm out relative the LR) when you view all the data via Measuring Blocks and bounce the corners.
Address 34: Level Control (4E0 910 553 H)

15:55:59 Group 010: Vehicle level deviation (mm)
-6.0 mm Front Left (actual +12mm)
-8.0 mm Front Right (within 2mm of actual)
36.0 mm Rear Left (within 2mm of actual)
-43.0 mm Rear Right (actual 449, so +51mm!!) - but will not accept a new 'Test' value, continually reporting 'Invalid'

The rear of the car hasn’t ‘dropped’ since I performed the clean-up on the original RR sensor, or fitted the replacement one (although I haven't driven it anywhere), so I am now convinced that it is not the culprit. However, I don’t know what to do / try next?

Could it really be just one faulty channel (04) inside the Level-Control ECU??

My gut feel tells me it is simply a case of resetting (educating) the RR sensor to a plausible value, (which I am unable to do) and everything would work fine.

Any help, advice, ideas would again be welcomed.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Still stuck, any suggestions?

Dear all,
Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I go next with my above conundrum (see above post update no. 13)?
many thanks
Malc