A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying '09 - '10 A8

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Considering buying '09 - '10 A8

Hello fellow A8/S8 members,

I have decided to buy either 09 or 10 A8. I spotted a few and will test drive them this week. I know some things may be breaking down after I purchase it and I am ready for it if that happens. However, I have seen some A8s locally (Chicago area) with high miles 120K+. So, I am seeking your advice if any of you would go for it or rather pay a bit more for one with less miles, let's say within 80-90k range?

Also, am I the only one to notice that '09s engines looks different than '10 engines do?

Thank you kindly for any input. It is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at so many A8s, I just cannot count them. I started looking at 07s but the more I learned, the more I started gravitating towards 09s and 10s. I didn't care that they had a lot of miles but if you can afford one with less then do so by all means. I have been grinning ear to ear since I brought my 2010 home 4 weeks ago. I bought it in Westmont by the way.

I'd say know exactly what you want for a car, and don't settle for anything less.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dino1147
I looked at so many A8s, I just cannot count them. I started looking at 07s but the more I learned, the more I started gravitating towards 09s and 10s. I didn't care that they had a lot of miles but if you can afford one with less then do so by all means. I have been grinning ear to ear since I brought my 2010 home 4 weeks ago. I bought it in Westmont by the way.

I'd say know exactly what you want for a car, and don't settle for anything less.
Thank you for your input Dino. I see more 09's than 10's out there but what I really want is a well maintained one instead of abused A8 with 60k miles on the clock. I bought an abused, low mileage car a few years back and regretted it very much.

Congrats on purchasing your 2010. How many miles on yours by the way?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah sorry, I totally forgot to mention that part! I bought it with 72,670 on the clock and have added a good 3,000 to that this past month. It's an amazing car in so many ways and I am glad I held out for the car that had all the right options. I would have regretted it otherwise. I'm totally in love with this car so any quirks it may have are more easily forgiven. That said, it helps if you can wrench on the car or have a good mechanic you trust. If something does go wrong, repair at a dealer would cost a fortune for anything more than changing the wiper blades.

Come to think of it, I may have some downtime tomorrow. What all are you looking for? I kinda know where to find them now.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, 72k! That is nice! Congrats again!
I am somewhat mechanically savvy when it comes to small or easy jobs but I also know an indy mechanic I trust with all my cars. He is a bit far from me though but worth the trip or tow.

I am leaning towards '10 but would consider '09 if it is well-maintained and in a very good shape cosmetically and mechanically. Average mileage would be nice but like I stated before, I am ok with high miles as well.

If you know of any on the market, please drop me a line - thank you!

BTW, I sent you a PM with my info.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I bought a low mileage pampered 2008 S8 with less than 50k miles on it and a fully stamped Audi service book...
Had it less than 2 months, fed up with it already...!!
Oil leak, water, leak and now air leak...
Ropey $7k B&O sound system that has at east one blown speaker and 1 stuck dash tweeter...
Sunroof not working either...
Hoping they'll all be simple, cheap fixes but I'm not impressed at all that all these things have happened on a ultra low miles well looked after car...
Sadly, I don't have the time or the inclination to fix cars myself, problem not the best choice of car for me on reflection...
Plus it's too low here for the amount of speed bumps and sh1tty roads, it's forever scraping underneath, even in lift mode (which has now stopped working properly since the air leak has started!!)
Even tho it drives well, can't see me keeping it long tbh....
Old 04-03-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

2010 was last year for the D3 model so there were fewer made/sold since most waited for the new body A8. Never noticed different engines, but i'm sure its just plastic covering the engine.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:10 AM
DEWSOETZ

Originally Posted by mixja23
FWIW, I bought a low mileage pampered 2008 S8 with less than 50k miles on it and a fully stamped Audi service book...
Had it less than 2 months, fed up with it already...!!
Oil leak, water, leak and now air leak...
Ropey $7k B&O sound system that has at east one blown speaker and 1 stuck dash tweeter...
Sunroof not working either...
Hoping they'll all be simple, cheap fixes but I'm not impressed at all that all these things have happened on a ultra low miles well looked after car...
Sadly, I don't have the time or the inclination to fix cars myself, problem not the best choice of car for me on reflection...
Plus it's too low here for the amount of speed bumps and sh1tty roads, it's forever scraping underneath, even in lift mode (which has now stopped working properly since the air leak has started!!)
Even tho it drives well, can't see me keeping it long tbh....
It's painful having such issues on a low millage car, i bought my 2008 Audi A8l with 208,000 miles and i've added an extra 5k plus miles without any problems so far besides the drivers side adaptive headlight that stopped working about a month ago.
So i tell people its not all about the millage on a car, you have so many other factors to consider when shopping for any European car especially Volkswagen and Audis.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 AM
DEWSOETZ

Originally Posted by KoJackee
Hello fellow A8/S8 members,

I have decided to buy either 09 or 10 A8. I spotted a few and will test drive them this week. I know some things may be breaking down after I purchase it and I am ready for it if that happens. However, I have seen some A8s locally (Chicago area) with high miles 120K+. So, I am seeking your advice if any of you would go for it or rather pay a bit more for one with less miles, let's say within 80-90k range?

Also, am I the only one to notice that '09s engines looks different than '10 engines do?

Thank you kindly for any input. It is greatly appreciated!
HI, My advice, buy a high millage 2011. Its going to be around the same price. I bought a high millage 08 with full history and i'm enjoying the car still date. I bought the car online without inspection and it took them two months to ship to my country. it had 208k miles and now its approaching 214k miles without any major issues. Had a sunroof leak once when it rained but luckily for me i was in the car when the rain started so i was able to manage the situation while it rained even thou i ended up soaking wet....... it saved the car. second issue i had with the car was the driver side adaptive light, pulled the headlamp out only to see all the wires in it were damaged. Didn't bother fixing it. The car has been reliable for the seven months period it has been with me.