A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continued air suspension misery....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Continued air suspension misery....

So I HATED the crappy aftermarket air pump that sounded like a woodpecker under the hood when running. I sourced a used OEM pump (EBAY) and new shock absorber kit. The pump bench tested great and give plenty of air for the system.
Put the system in and as I was working up front on the pump I heard the sound of escaping air out of the strut (left of course). My heart sank. I knew that now there would be a new strut in my future. As you know I just replaced the right one about a month ago.
Oh well, at least I have practice. The pump was installed and was whisper quiet. You cant hear it above the engine running. The only way I could tell it was running was putting my hand on the pump itself to feel the vibration.
My main suggestion here is to always go with an OEM pump and change the shock absorber mounts as well. Gigantic difference.

One step forward two steps back....
Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So I installed the new Left strut and everything was working perfectly again. A few days later I find the car doing the gangster lean on the left side. Bad strut? I hope not. Jacked up the car and sprayed the fittings on top and the air line. Bingo. the air line was leaking. Took off the fitting and removed the o ring. It looked a bit old and square. I replaced the o ring and retightened the fitting. Checked with soap and no leaks. Holding up now quite well. Need to do a recalibration but that will be next week. It's off 10mm or so left to right. The car will sit over the weekend so it will be a good test of the system.