A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upper Control Arm Bushings - Removal

So I might end up doing this task myself, but can't figure out how to get one of the bolts holding the right side control arm out. It looks like the plastic inner well will impede the removal of the bolt holding the control arm. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove this easily and about how long the process takes to remove and replace the bushings?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I want to say it took my indy shop about 4 hours to push out the old and in the new bushings, as well as an aligment.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 AM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall reading in the shop manual to remove the wheel liner....which isn't to difficult. good luck. I'll be doing the same some day.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Upper Control Arm Bushings

The bushing are only $84 for four of them, so I figured it can't be that bad, I am figuring two hours per side. I will also have a friend who has done them before helping, so it that should make it a bit easier.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Control Arm Bushings

Well I was lazy and had a mechanic friend of mine do the upper control arm bushings. It took him 3 hours and luckily his labor rate was half of the dealers. The ride is like brand new now, all four were completely shot. The next time I see that they are worn at all I will replace them ALL again.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For future reference, can just about any mechanic get the job done? My problem was just that I didn't know exactly how many i needed be it two or four and what exact part number it was or where to get them. I ended up getting gouged and it was all four that needed to be replaced.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
For future reference, can just about any mechanic get the job done? My problem was just that I didn't know exactly how many i needed be it two or four and what exact part number it was or where to get them. I ended up getting gouged and it was all four that needed to be replaced.
I'm not sure if it just because the Parts Department at Audi is use to me Bugging them, but they always give me the Part Number and Price for everything I inquire about. I then just google the Part Number and get the Results which are much less than Audi Dealerships. Then it is time to find some Brave Soul to Follow my Instructions or let me Sit In while they work. I usually don't get any Push Back since they know that I'm a Research Junky on this Car and know a little something about it. If it is the Dealership in the end that I use then at least I leave in peace with a Nice Loaner. Laters,

williebone
Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi All - I just picked up a 2007 A8L here in Austin. I'm coming from an A4. I noticed the familiar noises coming from my front end - like an airy 'boink'. I bet I'm also having upper control arm bushings issues. I got a CPO warrantee for another 2+ years - do you think this replacement/repair would be covered? Look forward to participating and following here... Peace. -Rosinbag
Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Even after replacing my bushings, especially in the morning you still hear the weird noise. I just live with it. The car does perform better when hitting potholes now that I had the bushings swapped out though.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did they replace the sway bar bushings also? Had control arms replaced 9 mos ago. Was quiet till this Fall. Had my sway bar bushings replaced last week All is quite now.

Quick Reply: Control arm bushings