A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert air suspension to coil springs

Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convert air suspension to coil springs

I have had some issues with my air suspension in my 04. My compressor is also probably on its way out. My car has 143K on it, and I would like to keep it while minimizing maintenance costs. Here is a link for strut conversions.
http://www.strutmasters.com/Audi-A8-.../audi-a8-4.htm

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a tread on this recently. Guy did this and was happy.

If I have to do this I would check D2 and A6 components.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't find that thread. Do you know if any specific years/models would fit without modification to the mounts? My older 98 D2 did not mount the same as the D3.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmhjgh
I couldn't find that thread. Do you know if any specific years/models would fit without modification to the mounts? My older 98 D2 did not mount the same as the D3.
I am considering converting from air to coil suspension on my D3, however strut masters does not have a fix to remove the yellow suspension light. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check here.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My thoughts are, get another car than an A8 if you can't afford having it done like it shoud be done.

You are destroying the driveability of the car, and at least in the EU this wouldn't pass the yearly MOT test and wouldnt be road leagal, and i suspect the same for the US.

And another aspect is that you are compromizing the function of the ESP system which is adapted to the air suspension.

And the last aspect, you will compromize the cargo handling of the car, a V6 version that weighs 400kg less than a W12 can't possibly use the same coil spring suspension, and be as well driveable.

And finally an A8 that the rear is hanging down, due to being fully loaded is a disgrace.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just a few thoughts about this. I agree that A8 D3 would loose some of it, but not that much. A8 D2 still is a great car and doesn't have air suspension. It is just as heavy. ESP is mainly useless anyways. And last, A8 D3 with broken air struts won't be accepted as a trade in, so buying anything else becomes quite expensive.

P.S. In Canada there is no such thing as yearly inspection, except for exhaust gasses in some areas. I believe it is same in US.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Faced with the same issue here. I've tried all cheap remedies listed here but still air leak code. I get flashing amber and green simultaneously blinking, then just the steady green alone. Sometimes the lights go on or off when I'm at a light then pull away. No ECU faults (replaced one but didn't fit it). Afraid I could chase this down an expensive rat's hole. The only coilover I can find for the D3 is from Strutmasters for $1495. Comes with ibox and bilsteins all around. Fault light will stay on until/if they can find a remedy for that but at least it won't bottom out and handle horribly. Have you reached any conclusions or spoken with anyone who can assess post-modification value v. factory? Does it matter? Any thoughts appreciated as I grind on this topic.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't be that impossible to fix an air suspension system. Just repaired a rear leveling air system on an E61 bmw 2006. The system had no leaks, but the compressor's one way valves were worn out by debris entering the compressor.

Usually the leaks are in the hose connectors by the airstruts, or by the valve block in the engine compartment.

If only one corner lowers itself, as the car stands still, that strut is leaking. If the whole car fails to level itself, the problem is often both an airleak, and a worn compressor, caused by the leaking air. If the compressor doesn't run at all, the relay, or power feed to the compressor is likely corrupted, or the compressor motor just worn out.

Air leaks are best found, by immersing pars in water, just take them off the car, and put them in a water basket big enough, but of course, don't put electrical parts in a water basket.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default spring conversion

Originally Posted by jmhjgh
I have had some issues with my air suspension in my 04. My compressor is also probably on its way out. My car has 143K on it, and I would like to keep it while minimizing maintenance costs. Here is a link for strut conversions.
2002-2009 Audi A8 4 Wheel Air Suspension Conversion Kit (AA14F) - Strutmasters

What are your thoughts?
The cost to fix my air ride suspension is more than the car is worth. Coils seem like an option. Can anybody share there opinion of the ride post conversion?
2006A8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert air suspension to coil springs