A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Japanese MMI + Radio + Nav to ROW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Japanese MMI + Radio + Nav to ROW?

Does anyone have a definitive list of the parts required to convert a Japanese spec Audi A8 2004 4.2 to UK/Euro/even US? The Jap spec Radio, TV and Navigation are all proprietary. The basic car controls are in English but Radio cant pick up non-Jap frequencies and the Navigation uses their GPS standard.

Ive just got this A8 so I dont know everything yet (!)... specifically where is the main MMI controller/module located?

I have the following parts:

Glovebox:
Audi 6 CD Stacker (standard?)
Audi Minidisk Player (standard?)
An "ETC" card reader, some sort of Toll Card reader for Japan.

Trunk:
KBox Radio - 4E0 035 541 A
DVD Nav - 4E0 919 977
TV Module - 4E0 919 146
Amp module - couldnt see a PN but is labelled "D3 Japan"
Attached Images      
Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsimis
Does anyone have a definitive list of the parts required to convert a Japanese spec Audi A8 2004 4.2 to UK/Euro/even US? The Jap spec Radio, TV and Navigation are all proprietary. The basic car controls are in English but Radio cant pick up non-Jap frequencies and the Navigation uses their GPS standard.

Ive just got this A8 so I dont know everything yet (!)... specifically where is the main MMI controller/module located?

I have the following parts:

Glovebox:
Audi 6 CD Stacker (standard?)
Audi Minidisk Player (standard?)
An "ETC" card reader, some sort of Toll Card reader for Japan.

Trunk:
KBox Radio - 4E0 035 541 A
DVD Nav - 4E0 919 977
TV Module - 4E0 919 146
Amp module - couldnt see a PN but is labelled "D3 Japan"
MMI Control Head is behind the glove box, screwed to the firewall.

6 CD Changer is standard and you need it for the software update.

Minidisk Player is not standard in North America. Probably aftermarket. Card reader too.

Radio part number is the same in North America. It is just matter of a different setting for a different area.

Navigation part number is wrong. This one is for a holder. I believe that it is just DVD that dedicates it to the area. No country has it's own satellites.

I believe that amplifier is not different for different areas.

So the base line is you need MMI software to update it and than set to your area. I believe you are using European version of it, but you have to check if that's right. The latest version is 5570
Old 02-22-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool thanks, that clears up a lot! In theory.. hope of hopes, I just need a SW update.

Whats flying in the face of that is that there are a load of Businesses here in New Zealand setup to convert the radio and sat-nav of Jap imports. They are charging $399 for the MMI recode, $699 for Radio conversion and $1699 (on top) for Navigation change. They claim to be using Audi parts and they need to be changed over.

https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sourc...Z&cr=countryNZ

Either they are all running a scam or something else is required here..
Old 02-22-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you post the software version you have?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Can you post the software version you have?
See attached!
Attached Images      
Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you thought of a simple software update for the entire MMI system?

If you get a European/ROW version, you should be able to overwrite them all. I don't think the basic hardware is that different, but like with the SDS module, the software update can overwrite the base language of the system.

Mike
Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check this. Interesting links at the end of it too.

Your MMI software is 0210, unknown version to me. Must be for Japan market alone. I believe you need European version. To upload it you have to start from Bootloader, as far as I remember from the hidden menu. You get to the hidden menu by simultaneously pressing Setup and Car buttons for 5 seconds. If you can't get it you need VCDS to enable it. You need VCDS for many other things so you should order one from Ross-Tech.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check this. Interesting links at the end of it too.

Your MMI software is 0210, unknown version to me. Must be for Japan market alone. I believe you need European version. To upload it you have to start from Bootloader, as far as I remember from the hidden menu. You get to the hidden menu by simultaneously pressing Setup and Car buttons for 5 seconds. If you can't get it you need VCDS to enable it. You need VCDS for many other things so you should order one from Ross-Tech.
Thanks, I had read that and about JimH.. though he changed his KBox too. Im unsure what he did about his Japanese Nav and the fact its physically diff interface.
I have an official Ross Tech Hex USB cable for what must be 7years now!

Originally Posted by mcs
Have you thought of a simple software update for the entire MMI system?
If you get a European/ROW version, you should be able to overwrite them all. I don't think the basic hardware is that different, but like with the SDS module, the software update can overwrite the base language of the system.
Mike
Ill give that a shot tonight, though this person bricked their K-Box doing just that!
FM radio is gone after Japanese MMI to EU conversion | Audi Forum

EDIT: Looks like none of the hosted Firmware files are not on http://www.audi-resource.com/mmifirmwaredl.php anymore..... :| grrr.

Last edited by mattsimis; 02-23-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Try here. I don't know anything about that site so check online if they are reliable.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try here. I don't know anything about that site so check online if they are reliable.
Good call. Ill DL them now, though I had found some others. It looks like Im going to need to buy some new CDRs as the no name ones I have wont read at all and the Verbatim CDRW is read but the SWUPDATE program stalls on "Reading Metadata". Hopefully thats just the CD type.

EDIT: Got a CD to work and was greeted with a Region code conflict I cant bypass... I see on some other Audi's/MMI versions there is a Ignore Region flag in the Diag part of SWUpdate (assume thats the "Bootloader"?) but I cant see such an option.

EDIT2: I wonder if I edit the Metainfo2.txt file on the CD and change the region to "Japan" would it work.. and change the checksum.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mattsimis; 02-24-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Converting Japanese MMI + Radio + Nav to ROW?