A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant bleed valve locations?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant bleed valve locations?

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can confirm the location of the coolant bleed valves on my A8 (D3 4E 2004 3.0 TDI). The problem is just before the cold spell I was trying to prepare for the winter and decided to do a mini flush/top up of my coolant as I dont think it has been touched in over 5 year. so I drained out the coolant from the expansion tank and refilled with mixture of Prestone and water. Prestone bottle said it could be mixed with any colour coolant!. I then read that Audi use G12, and that this should not be mixed with anything else as it may cause coolant to solidify. As a precaution now I want to drain the full system and refill with G13 (which i got from Audi). They tell me G13 has replaced G12, G12++ coolants.

So back to my problem.... I dont want to find I drain the system and then end up with airlocks so want to be sure I have correctly identified the 3 bleed valves on my engine. Can anyone confirm the location as shown in yellow circles in the attached pics? Thanks in advance and if anyone has any other tips/pointers before I undertake this task I would be grateful.
Attached Images    
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the second picture is correct mate, near the pollen filter.

can i ask how did you drain the coolant? as i want to do the flush aswel....?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by carterleeds
the second picture is correct mate, near the pollen filter.

can i ask how did you drain the coolant? as i want to do the flush aswel....?
Hi Carterleeds,

Thanks for the reply.

I have not performed a full flush as yet, only a mini flush ie drained the coolant from the expansion tank (using a siphoning pipe) and then replacing with fresh coolant. This is not the correct procedure for a full flush, but I was hoping it would strengthen the antifreeze before the cold weather set in. I will do the full flush in the coming weekend (weather permitting) and if successful will post up a full write up with pictures which may help you.

Re the bleed valves I have now been told that ALL three valves are correct and are the bleed valves for removing air lock. Not sure why they have 3 bleed valves on this engine but that is the facts so will follow procedure.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant find the thread atm, but it stated that the bleed valves by the pollen filter was the only one mentioned for getting rid of an air lock.

i have a 4.2 petrol so maybe different procdure for diesels but you would have to wait for a more experianced memeber to way in.

and thanks for that, would be helpful. because theres no mention of where the drain points are to drain the fluid correctly and fully. and yes as you mentioned your way can be done but i dont have a sucking tool lol.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bringing this thread up again. I am looking for a DIY for Bleeding Cooling System for the D3.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Bentley shop manual is the old school way of course. You also need to post year of car and motor. From avatar pic so far I just see A8L and a USA home base.

In particular, early 4.2's can be hard. They tweaked the radiator and hoses a bit later which presumably helped with the old issue. The early ones are closer to what Bentley says, which is the full boat approach typical of Bentley. Later ones more likely to be just open the bleed ports w/ motor running one at a time until coolant pees out a little.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-30-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I use the tool linked below. Works great. Makes it east to fill and there is no need to bleed the system.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8...4.2/ES2712734/
Old 07-31-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks MP4,the_duke. Model year is 2009. I'll try opening the bleed ports option and see if it helps. Hopefully, there isn't a leak somewhere in the rubber piping/hose system. I realized there was an issue after the cooling fans started working overtime / really loud.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Bentley shop manual is the old school way of course. You also need to post year of car and motor. From avatar pic so far I just see A8L and a USA home base.

In particular, early 4.2's can be hard. They tweaked the radiator and hoses a bit later which presumably helped with the old issue. The early ones are closer to what Bentley says, which is the full boat approach typical of Bentley. Later ones more likely to be just open the bleed ports w/ motor running one at a time until coolant pees out a little.
Originally Posted by the_duke
I use the tool linked below. Works great. Makes it east to fill and there is no need to bleed the system.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8...4.2/ES2712734/
Old 07-31-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by ebi718
Thanks MP4,the_duke. Model year is 2009. I'll try opening the bleed ports option and see if it helps. Hopefully, there isn't a leak somewhere in the rubber piping/hose system. I realized there was an issue after the cooling fans started working overtime / really loud.
High speed fans are usually a sign of a cooling system malfunction. You should scan it w/ VCDS or get it scanned. Any lights or messages on dash, or temp. gauge not working?

Assuming no coolant leaks, most likely other culprits are simple bad temp. sensor, or bad thermostat which has an electrical assist to it IIRC for an FSI 4.2.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

As of yesterday when I scanned, no temp related faults, lights on dash, etc; temp gauge was straight/ on point. This morning there was a puddle underneath reservoir. Will scan again.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
High speed fans are usually a sign of a cooling system malfunction. You should scan it w/ VCDS or get it scanned. Any lights or messages on dash, or temp. gauge not working?

Assuming no coolant leaks, most likely other culprits are simple bad temp. sensor, or bad thermostat which has an electrical assist to it IIRC for an FSI 4.2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolant bleed valve locations?