A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to replace starter and Valve covers?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to replace starter and Valve covers?!

I'm having problems with my starter. Once about every 15-20 times it randomly doesn't start at all. I have to take the key out lock and unlock the car a few times and then try a gain and it works. My tech ran a bunch of test and he says everything points to the starter. So I'm getting that replaced he's quoting me $1470 to replace the starter. I also have a small leak in the valve covers the quote for that is $2300. Is it just me or does this seem like a lot ?

TIA
Old 04-18-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I think Mister Bally has done the starter, so see if he checks in.

Valve covers sound like way, way too much. Gasket set in OES quality can be had for $30 per side: https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c/audi/2004/1422188-a8_quattro_l/20-engine_parts_seals_gaskets/5500-valve_cover_gasket_set?s=d&page=1 From doing it on my 2000 A6 4.2, I would say a few hours per side. It is cost effective to do spark plugs and air filter at same time given stuff you are removing all the way down to the plug coil packs. At $2300, those must be gold leaf lined gaskets supporting a 10 hour $200 labor rate ride. S8's can be no fun, and W12's maybe a runner up, but even there it would seem high. Fleece me...

Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's what I was thinking, I'm getting taken to the cleaners! I told them to hold off on the valve covers
Old 04-18-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I was charged a tenth of that to have someone do valve covers, they are ripping you off. No idea on the starter.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I was charged a tenth of that to have someone do valve covers, they are ripping you off. No idea on the starter.
UGH!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Uh...

Originally Posted by Jack88
The starter is $742 full MSRP and the book labor is 250 minutes. That'd be $175/hr with full whack on the part. Seems excessive.

The valve cover gaskets are $30 and 2 hours labor, so that quote is just crazy.

http://audipages.com/Tech_Articles/e...%20rev%200.pdf
Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by homeslice
I'm having problems with my starter. Once about every 15-20 times it randomly doesn't start at all. I have to take the key out lock and unlock the car a few times and then try a gain and it works. My tech ran a bunch of test and he says everything points to the starter. So I'm getting that replaced he's quoting me $1470 to replace the starter. I also have a small leak in the valve covers the quote for that is $2300. Is it just me or does this seem like a lot ?

TIA
Common problem on these cars, no one could really find the culprit. Just deal with it. Mine has done it since i bought it in 2008... Same exact situation, Just recycle ignition and you're good to go. I don't need to unlock the car though.. I use push to start every time, if this happens I hit stop or engine off, and then push to start again and it starts right up. I believe it's the ignition lock or security not syncing properly and therefore stopping the car from turning over electronically.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing with me on the starter . 08 FSI. I just hit the stop button, then start, and it starts right up. It'll crank just fine just something isn't getting a signal. Happens once every few months.

Valve covers....easy DIY. It'll take you a few hours. Remove air box and connectors, get a low profile socket wrench for the rear bits and it'll be easy going. Mine all came out with ease after 144k miles. No idea where your guy came up with those numbers. But I'm sure he will buy a round of drinks for everyone at the bar if you do that.

GearWrench 85035 35 Pc MicroDriver Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062FSAVI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Old 04-18-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If the starter ever fails to crank twice; the starter is going bad. VCDS diagnostics will confirm it. But, it is a standard troubleshooting technique. There is a software glitch that causes mine to not crank maybe once every 200 attempts. It used to be one in 25 or so years ago but somehow healed itself.....

Subframe has to come down to replace the starter so a tough job. This is one I actually paid a good, Independent shop to do as the labor was less than the part. OES (Valeo?) gear reduction starter was about $400.00 and labor was three hours at $110.00

Remember Homeslice, you're in LA. The labor rate is probably approaching $200 at Audi dealers and $180 at indy shops. Only way to save is by buying an OES starter instead of genuine Audi.

Others have commented about the valve cover gaskets. It took me about three hours to do one side on my '04. I was tired because I was replacing the front end of the car, but that's another story....
Old 04-18-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Common problem on these cars, no one could really find the culprit. Just deal with it. Mine has done it since i bought it in 2008... Same exact situation, Just recycle ignition and you're good to go. I don't need to unlock the car though.. I use push to start every time, if this happens I hit stop or engine off, and then push to start again and it starts right up. I believe it's the ignition lock or security not syncing properly and therefore stopping the car from turning over electronically.
I have the same problem you have, and yes I just recycle the ignition and it does work again (i'm cool with that) but every once in awhile the car just doesn't crank at all. No matter how many times I recycle it doesn't turn over, I have to turn off the car unlock and lock the doors 3-5 times in order to have it start. My mechanic said When it doesn't crank voltage still there so it all seems like the starter needs to be replaced. So I don't know whats going on. I did think the quote was a bit steep, so I just had him replace the battery since I read that older batteries can cause all sorts of problems. Luckily the new battery did resolve a ABS, light so I think we are hopefully looking good. Will report back

Last edited by homeslice; 04-18-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost to replace starter and Valve covers?!