A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple of problems with A8..need help

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of problems with A8..need help

hello all,
newbie here im having couple of issues with my 04 a8L (im in toronto canada. so its a canadian a8l)
the "break malfunction" light (! symbol with a circle around it) comes on after 10 secs of starting the car. this happens everytime. and keeps blinking then will go out and will come back on. my local tech. checked the rotors/breaks and said they were good. checked break fluid-its full. this started happening 2-3 weeks ago.before it used to come on when pressing the accelerator. now it just comes on upon startup. im confused here.

also i read on this forum that there was a recall on the trunk not closing properly. is that ture? cuz i tried researching on the net and i couldng find the recall. cuz my trunk is not aligned properly so the auto close feature doesnt work properly..it opens the trunk back up.

another thing that im experiencing is that when i shut off the car..lock it..all light will be off. but couple hours later i will see that the tail lights are on. usually if i start the car turn it back off. it turns off the lights. but sometimes the tail lights will stay on. i double checked and made sure the turn signals are not on.

any help would be good. thank you very much.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is your tech associated with an Audi dealer

or is he an independent? There is/was a recall for the trunk issue that you are experiencing and I would have to believe that some fault codes may have been stored. The dealer, or a tech with what is called a Vag-Com, can pull any stored codes to see what the issues might be. One warning. Sometimes codes are not stored and a simple re-start of the engine clears the problem. The brake issue may not be limited to the pads/rotors etc. Make sure your tail lights AND brake lights are functioning.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: couple of problems with A8..need help

Which Brake malfunction light? Audi just had recall on emergency brake module and my light came on. I have 85000 miles so out of warranty, reprograming is at no cost but my module wouldn't reprogram so cost $500 for new one.
Dealer replace my trunk hinges(took 3 days to have new one repainted)no cost also, I had same problem. There is a MMI update for 2004 and it's at no cost also. Might fix your light problem, ask dealer about it. This work cost audi $1700.00 and I paid $500.00. Audi has a special coustomer service phone number just for A8 owners. Don't have it here but just ask audi.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: couple of problems with A8..need help

thanx for all your responses.
i took my car to the audi dealership and all 4 recalls have been done on it including the one for the trunk and its unfortunate its still the same issue? anything i can get done here?

the MMI update you meantion, parkrog2 its not part of any recall right?

break light is driving me crazy. eeven if i drive the car for 5 secs..shut it off..the park lights will go off.weird.

as for the break malfunction..i got it fixed. when i took it to the dealership they checked my brake fluid (even though it was 95% full..the filled up the 5% and the light is gone. didnt know 5% would give "break malfunction" light...thats just great

also another issue has come up now.

it started telling me tire pressure is low...kept beeping..and now it says "tire pressure malfunction" i still have stock rims/19" tires on. do i have to just get it reset or change the sensors? right now i have tpms off. (it doesnt display the tire pressure for any tire in mmi even when tpms is enabled)

love the audi..but thinking about cancelling my w12 order now
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you cancel your A8L W12 order, go with the new Lexus LS600 h or LS600L h

Avoid Mercedes like the plague as problems with newer Benzes are much more frequent, much more severe and in much higher quantity than any Audi-old and especially new. So says the automotive geniuses at Consumer Reports.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: If you cancel your A8L W12 order, go with the new Lexus LS600 h or LS600L h

i never like BMW. benz is good but their interiors dont phase me.

i love lexus and acuras also. im thinking about the new ls600l h..fully loaded 4 seater...but man im not intot he parking thing lol...i already cancelled my w12 order.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go with the Lexus

Even though you don't like the feature that allows the car to park itself, which will most likely be optional rather than standard. But take my advice about Mercedes Benz very, very seriously.

I am glad you cancelled your W12 order. The W12 is even less reliable (maybe a lot less reliable) than the V8 and V10. Hopefully, all versions of the D4 A8/A8L/S8 are far more reliable than the D3, including the V12 that will replace the dreaded W12.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove a black/black LS600L last week. OH BOY!!!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Drove a black/black LS600L last week. OH BOY!!!!!

Is it me or does is look "narrow" for such a supposedly lux car, from the rear. Drove behind one the other day and it just looked small (narrow) from behind.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tell me more about "recall" on brake module, is there a TSB #...

I'm taking in for last free 45K service interval and want to make sure it's on the list.

They're already scheduled to do TSB #2013108/2 MMI upgrade. Looking forward to be able to change AM/FM from steering wheel after TSB update. Scheduled to replace brake pads, last chance, kinda, before 50K.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: couple of problems with A8..need help