A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are CPO cars from Riverside a bad idea? More...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are CPO cars from Riverside a bad idea? More...

I was about ready to purchase an '04 A8L from Riverside, but then I spoke with my local Audi service advisor and he said to avoid Riverside CPO cars at all cost. Apparently, he and the other service advisors see alot of former Riverside cars in the shop; cars that should have never been certified in the first place, or cars that have chronic problems that cause them to be in the shop time and time again. He was adamant that I avoid CPO cars from Riverside. Anyone out there have any positive/negative experience with a CPO purchased from Riverside?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Are CPO cars from Riverside a bad idea? More...

I would tend to think (in general)that 04'VIN #'s below 6000 should be avoided at all costs. If a car is CPO'd what is the MA coverage that Audi picks up to 100,000 miles.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/certified_pre_owned.Par.0013.File.pdf">CPO PDF</a></li></ul>
Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Follow-up ?...this part of what's not covered sure is confusing to me...

On Page 8 of 12....

"Radio &amp; Nav - This warranty does NOT cover nav. comp, sound sys comp inlc radios, compact disc and DVD players, speakers, sub-woof &amp; radio tape head assette cleaning. Excludes MMI components not related to nav &amp; sound system."

My comments: it doesn't cover basically anything related to nav or sound, but it covers MMI nav &amp; sound related issues. So is everything covered related to MMI as long as it's related to NAV &amp; SOUND? So if the MMI screen doesn't pop up for whatever mechanical reason or it starts the REBOOT issue, it's not covered under CPO?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Default I'm buying 2004 from Riverside CPO

From the documentation, it sounds like MMI will be covered.

Polidori, wait a few days, and I will tell you how my purchase will turn out.

D3AeighT:

The car I'm buying:
WAUML44EX4N010479

Is that #10479, or #0479? This is in response to your statement that &lt;6000 should be avoided.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm buying 2004 from Riverside CPO

That's a 10479. Have you asked or will they let you look at the "service history"?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do a search for Riverside and CPO (esp. RS6 forum) and you will answer your own question

Buyer beware, but at least they seem to be aggressive on dealing. But get your own thorough inspection. It appears that Riverside may not do the most accurate job of CPO'ing Audis.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Are CPO cars from Riverside a bad idea? More...

I bought a 2005 A8L with 36k from them back in Jan 07, and agree that they are not very careful in the certification process. My car has had number of issues which should have been fixed during the CPO process. It is pretty clear they did not take the time to go through the checklist at all.

That said, most of their cars are priced well below market value. It's definately a case of buyer beware. You need to know that if you're getting a good deal on the car, it probably has some issues that you'll have to work out on your own.

Most importantly, they don't seem to be very honest. I've been trying to resolve a number of issues with them, and the sales and finance department keep telling me that I have to talk to the owner, and they will leave a message for the owner to call me.

Despite multiple calls and messages to the owner's voicemail, I've yet to hear back. It's been over a month, and I've just given up. I don't have the time or energy to deal with it, and I'm pretty sure that's what they were hoping for.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Default I hope my experience is a little better...

I've seen the car, but they said they need a few days to perform recall work, fix a chip on the rear bumper, and make sure it meets the certified checklist.

Arun (salesman) has refused to accept payment until I've driven the car.

The carfax is clean (I know, not the best source, but its still something)
Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Who to ask for service history?

Should I ask my salesman to ask service for the service history, or should I ask the service manager? The car is at the garage (different location, few miles from showroom) being prepped. I've only met the service manager once because I wanted to see the car before committing a $500 deposit.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: I hope my experience is a little better...

To be fair, maybe my experience was just an anomoly. What's interesting, is that they told me the same things.

-No deposit
-Need to take some time to fix up the car
-Certify car

I started working with my salesman mid-December 2006, and they didn't deliver the car until Jan 23, 2007. The whole time was just excuse after excuse. "It's in the body shop", "We need to run it through the service shop to do the CPO", etc, etc.

Worst of all, I just found out that they submitted my lease to AFS on Dec 29, and that is what is being used to calculate my lease payment date. I got a call from AFS looking for a payment Jan 29th, when I didn't even take delivery of the car until Jan 23rd. I've been trying to resolve this issue with Riverside, and they haven't returned a single call. I am being asked to pay for a term that I didn't even own the car. I've given up on this one, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

In retrospect, I my BS radar should have told me to walk away, but I wasn't in any rush, and the price was right.

My concern is that every chance they've had a decision to make, they are choosing not doing the right thing to take care of a customer.

Quick Reply: Are CPO cars from Riverside a bad idea? More...