A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default There are 2 ways we can integrate the sound to the Bose system

Originally Posted by awdinut
Yes, I can play the radio while there is a DVD playing. So what do I need to do to my car for me to have the sound play on the Bose system ?
1. If you have AMI, you can get an AMI cable with AUX configuration - Plug this one to the DVD audio output, when you play the DVD, switch the MMI to AUX input, the audio of DVD will go through AUX to BOSE.
2. Get a TV Tuner, same idea, plug the DVD audio output to AV1 audio, switch the MMI to AV1 and the DVD audio will go to the BOSE AV1 audio.
Now, we need to see the DVD player output to see if it has a Composite or 3.5mm audio output. If it doesn't have anything, then we have to use the output of the rear headphone jack to hook up.
Please take the picture of the read DVD player or the headphone jack.
So, my concern is only the selection on the MMI, if you can select AMI or Radio while playing DVD, then I assume you can play TV tuner sewhile playing DVD also.
It's quite simple in both cases, just the running AUX or AV1 audio cable to the DVD or the headphone jack.
If you have the AMI, the aux option is the cheapest and easiest. If you already has an iPod, iPhone, USB drive hooked up already, just send me the cable, I can create an Auxiliary resistor and connector to switch on the fly.
If you get a TV tuner, you can by pass the DVD and use RaspBerry Pie to store all your ripped DVDs and play from there using a remote. This one you need to split the AV1 or AV2 to both of your rear screen - The audio you don't have to do anything because the AV1 or AV2 audio will be connected to the Raspberry Pi in the trunk with the remote receiver. Go to the beginning of the video for raspberry pie demo

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. And thanks for the offer to modify the AMI cable for me. However, I seem to recall a thread that was pages long concerning what it takes to put a TV tuner in one of these cars....taking connectors apart to change pins, get an MMI brain from a 2008-2010 A8, etc etc etc. Too complicated for me to accomplish.

So that leaves the AMI suggestion. It sounds like that involves running a cable from the DVD player in the trunk all the way to the AMI in the glove box and I dont want to tear the car apart to do that. But let me ask you this: I have a BT transmitter dongle with APTX technology which eliminates Bluetooth lag so it will sync with a video which I can plug into the headphone jack of the RSE....if I could get a cable for the AMI with a female pin plug connector could'nt I simply plug an APTX BT receiver dongle in to the AMI and send the DVD audio out via AMI ?

And if so, would you be able to modify an AMI cable to have the necessary pin plug connector ?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know what the Bluetooth ABTx does

But if you have a paired bluetooth - the transmitter plug into the headphone jack and the receiver plug into the AMI AUX mode cable, then it's the easiest and painless way, just get an AMI cable with AUX connector.

* About the TV tuner - That's what this thread is intended to be or at least proving that TV tuner will work with the AUDIO if there is no VIDEO via FBAS on the head unit - SteveOH or you will try this .
If the DVD is in the trunk, then it's so easy and transparent - get the TV tuner - plug the AUDIO from DVD to the TV tuner then that's IT. AGAIN, if it works like Julian Hicks said it would. Someone needs to be a Guinea Pig here to confirm that it works. I just bought one for Atom for $66, it's extremely inexpensive, well it's used so we're rolling the dice here.
* I'll be retrofitting Atomic head unit with FBAS circuit - I bought 3 sets, so if you want when all parts get here, send yours and I'll do it the same time as TOM's. Again, only if you trust my team on rework. When you add the FBAS circuit, there'll be NO CP.
There is no tearing of anything on the original part. People don't know what they're doing then yes. Last year, I did one for a forum member here, he sent the HU with return shipping label and he got it back working perfectly in the same day.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I know Audi makes an AMI cable with a 3.5mm AUX end for the newer CAN BUS based AMI units, but did they make one for the A8 AMI units that are Fiber Optic based ? I know from experience that the iPod connector cable from the newer AMI units will not work on our A8 AMI units. If there is one for the A8 AMI, does anyone happen to know the part # ?

Last edited by awdinut; 10-14-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where have you been? AMI aux cable is all over the plae

Originally Posted by awdinut
I know Audi makes an AMI cable with a 3.5mm AUX end for the newer CAN BUS based AMI units, but did they make one for the A8 AMI units that are Fiber Optic based ? I know from experience that the iPod connector cable from the newer AMI units will not work on our A8 AMI units. If there is one for the A8 AMI, does anyone happen to know the part # ?
Here is one on Amazon.
This one is from China, you may get it by shipped by next year.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See, that's the problem...the one you mention, just like any I have found on eBay, is only for 2009 and newer AMI units. Monday I will call the dealer and see if there was one for earlier AMI units. I am not optimistic though. Do you think it possible to adapt a cable from the newer style units ?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No that's your problem - You didn't watch my video - I used the 2015 VW cable - You don't understand the AMI cable, buy it, if it doesn't work - I'll pay for it.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-15-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a TV Tuner and I have a 2007 S8 with RVC. I want to install it in the place of Sat radio module, so I can use the Most connection and power connection.
So how do I connect Aux to it? Looks like I need another harness

Edit: found this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/adding-tv-analog-tuner-questions-2851607/
Looks like I'll just get the harness from Kufatec

Last edited by BASARAB; 10-15-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How do you use the tv tuner now? Make sure to get one with both AV1 and AV2 so you can use both. I don't know how much it cost but for me, less than $20. Yes, I like their original connector, looks good and sturdy but to me, functionality counts. I'm going to buy a few of these to make cables for Atomic, if you want one, let me know.
http://microcontrollershop.com/produ...0tb0a07i784n13
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-15-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
How do you use the tv tuner now? Make sure to get one with both AV1 and AV2 so you can use both. I don't know how much it cost but for me, less than $20. Yes, I like their original connector, looks good and sturdy but to me, functionality counts. I'm going to buy a few of these to make cables for Atomic, if you want one, let me know.
2x10 (20-pin) 0.1" pitch IDC Connector Flat Ribbon
Cheers,
Louis
Its just laying on my table lol Have not tried connecting it yet. I will gladly buy a cable from you instead of Kufatec if you make extra

Quick Reply: Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)