A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Your plan B is quite simple...

Originally Posted by awdinut
Thanks for the info. I would have never thought about it being differentiated by what device the cable is enabling, logic was that the differing AMI systems were the salient issue. I would have been looking for a 'C' suffix AUX cord and never found one probably. Seems like the two BT dongles should acheive the objective, of course I will have to rig the set up each time I want to use the RSE, but that is not often. And doing the occasional plugging-in of the dongles seems preferable to me that installing the TV tuner, doing the MMI R&R, etc.....all that stuff I dont understand makes me kinda dizzy.

If the dongles dont get it done, then I will get back to you for the details of plan 'B'.
Which I think you'll definitely need - I don't believe any bluetooth devices can transmit and receive without pairing. Bluetooth is 2 ways communication. I may be wrong, but I doubt such a system exist.
Here is your plan B.
Get yourself a 6-10ft Auxiliary extension cable, run it from the audio out of your screen to your AMI auxiliary cable... all done.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-15-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I forgot, Audinut, you can test to see if you have to go to plan B or not. Take your bluetooth transmit - connect the input to your Phone headphone jack, connect bluetooth receive aux out to your PC desktop speakers input jack, play music on your phone, if it comes out at the speakers - you don't need plan B. If it doesn't, plan B is a must.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-16-2017, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, Atomic,
The parts for FBAS are here, when do you want to do it? Turn your HU to "A"?
If you're not going to use the video, then you can do it later. When the TV tuner gets here, I'll send it with the cables, the Bluetooth to get your music streaming going.
Attached Thumbnails Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)-photo431.jpg  
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default here's what I currently do...

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I forgot, Audinut, you can test to see if you have to go to plan B or not. Take your bluetooth transmit - connect the input to your Phone headphone jack, connect bluetooth receive aux out to your PC desktop speakers input jack, play music on your phone, if it comes out at the speakers - you don't need plan B. If it doesn't, plan B is a must.

Cheers,
Louis
I use a low-latency ABT-X BT transmitter dongle with low-latency ABT-X technology plugged into the RSE headphone jack and play the audio out of a BT speaker with ABT-X techmology. So I should think that an identical BT receiver dongle plugged into the AMI AUX cable will work to give me in sync audio out the A 8's Bose system. Or so I hope because a cord strung back to front in the car would work but it would be so unsightly.

Last edited by awdinut; 10-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, it will work perfectly then. That is a very good Bluetooth system, what's the model?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Everything is slowly but surely here... But

Atomic has more things to worry about than the Bluetooth Streaming stuff. I''ll test and make sure everything works and put them away until he's ready. Today the TV Tuner came, I'll check this weekend to make sure it works.
Barsarab, If you want the cables, give me your address - I'll test the cables with this TV tuner and send it to you next week.

TV Tuner 4E0-919-146
The rear connectors - all look OK.
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK Atomic... Whenever you're ready... It works

I couldn't believe it works... Lucky you.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Success !!

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
So, it will work perfectly then. That is a very good Bluetooth system, what's the model?
The second BT transmitter/receiver came today and I plugged it into the AMI AUX cable and paired with an identical unit plugged into RSE headphone jack I got totally in-sync video sound over the car's Bose system. Two of these are what I used......https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brightech-B...8df7:g:h5kAAOS

And the receiver works even with the glove box door closed; so all and all a very easy and tidy solution to the sound problem.

Thanks again for the info about the AUX cord compatibility.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by awdinut
The second BT transmitter/receiver came today and I plugged it into the AMI AUX cable and paired with an identical unit plugged into RSE headphone jack I got totally in-sync video sound over the car's Bose system. Two of these are what I used......https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brightech-B...8df7:g:h5kAAOS

And the receiver works even with the glove box door closed; so all and all a very easy and tidy solution to the sound problem.

Thanks again for the info about the AUX cord compatibility.
That's very nice, do you need to do anything to pair those 2 together or they're just found themselves? Is there a switch to set as a transmitter or receiver?
Very smart solution.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a switch to set for transmit or receive, then hold down the on/off buttons till they go into pair mode. They have a light to indicate they have paired, and that all there is to it....BT with no discernible delay.

Quick Reply: Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)