A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pandora + AMI is possible! (New project on the way)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pandora + AMI is possible! (New project on the way)

Today I plugged in my Iphone5 to the AMI cable using the apple lightning 8 to 30 pin adapter, and to my surprise it began playing pandora through AMI! It also showed the artist/music info display on the screen. I've searched a couple of posts regarding this but most say it's not possible? Can anyone confirm this? Only drawback is that you cannot change the song through the MMI controller, it must be done manually through your phone.

I ordered an extened AMI ipod cable, and will route it from the AMI unit, through the dash, center console, up to the center armrest area. Pics will follow as soon as the cable arrives
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should have ordered bluetooth cable instead of extended cable
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

The sound quality is just not the same.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Your still using crap pandoras 128kbs streaming.... so it's the same as bluetooth streaming essentially. Good idea though

Last edited by Brozee; 02-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Your still using crap pandoras 128kbs streaming.... so it's the same as bluetooth streaming essentially. Good idea though
I've heard it using the bluetooth cable, and the quality is just not the same. You are correct on Pandora's bitrate streaming, which is ok for me. I also want the phone charging feature, and quick access to swap out my Iphone for the Ipod. IMO anything out the the stock sound system is garbage...
Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304
IMO anything out the the stock sound system is garbage...
Any of my 320+ kbs songs off my iPod sound amazing in both of my cars; Bose and B&O.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried my iPhone 5 with a cheap generic 30 to 8 adapter and its a no-go. I may have to try it with a genuine apple adapter. Damn Apple and their bright ideas.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Any of my 320+ kbs songs off my iPod sound amazing in both of my cars; Bose and B&O.
Amazing to you, is mediocre to me. I was spoiled before. My other vehicle has components on each door, 3-way 6x9's on the rear deck powered by a 6/600w RMS amp, and a 12w7 powered by a 1500w RMS Mono amp, all JL audio.. Now that sounds amazing. Once I figure out how to loop out the factory amp i'll upgrade my sound system, as time permits.

How does the Bose compare to the B&O sound system? How are the lows/mids/high's on the B&O system?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304
Amazing to you, is mediocre to me. I was spoiled before. My other vehicle has components on each door, 3-way 6x9's on the rear deck powered by a 6/600w RMS amp, and a 12w7 powered by a 1500w RMS Mono amp, all JL audio.. Now that sounds amazing. Once I figure out how to loop out the factory amp i'll upgrade my sound system, as time permits.

How does the Bose compare to the B&O sound system? How are the lows/mids/high's on the B&O system?
I've had some pretty amazing audio installs in other cars, including my current Porsche, which has the Hertz ribbon tweeter components, and a custom 8W3 moulded into the passenger footwell, powered by a pair of Audison LRX amps, and it's OMG amazing.

With the D3 cars, the B&O system is a decent upgrade over the stock Bose cap, but no how/ no way would I ever DREAM of messing with any of this. The stock systems aren't amazing by any standard, but it's not bad enough that I'm willing to take on the sizable (both in effort and expense) project to make it better.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Bluetooh audio adapter and it worked great with my iPhone 4. It also works with my iPhone 5 but causes problems with the Bluetooth phone connection. I talked with an Apple "Genius" who said the iPhone 5 as different Bluetooth hardware than the iPhone 4 & 4S. If I disconnect the Bluetooth audio the phone Bluetooth works great. I found the sound to be the same with Bluetooth vs the cable. The ability to use voice commands to select music with the Bluetooth is great.

I have the B&O system in an 08 S8. The type of music does impact the sound delivery of the system. I usually listen to classic rock and the system sounds great. The live version of the Eagles Hotel California sounds simply amazing with this system.

Recently had a new A7 loaner with the Bose system and it was a huge step down from the B&O. Was so happy to get my car back.

Quick Reply: Pandora + AMI is possible! (New project on the way)