A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Crunch" or squeak from front suspension

Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is interesting... did some poking around... and my sound is coming from the left front fender!! With the car in the garage, and obviously totally still, if I just push on the fender behind and below where it meets the headlight, it makes the sound I'm hearing.

Now, I absolutely HATE dealing with anything bodywork related, so anyone have any ideas what's making contact that I'm hearing this?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could someone post the picture where we are suppose to lubricate it??

i have the same problem.. granted it is -11F outside with
wind chills of -30F

but would still like to get rid of the "crunchy" noise
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hanilanzi
could someone post the picture where we are suppose to lubricate it??
See yellow stars.
Silicone spray, maybe furniture polish between rubber and metal.
Some types of oil/grease *may* be bad for rubber.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and here i am thinking this is in the engine compartment, under the hood area

thank you!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took my car in to the dealer yesterday. I had a brake flush done a couple months ago there and recently since the weather got colder my brake lights would turn on overnight on their own and drained the battery. I suspected air still in the lines so took it back.

I also had a few concerns about some noise in the front end, mostly on the front left (Drivers Side) exactly as you guys said, heard a rubber crunching sound. Got the call today turns out Bad Control Arm Bushings and Sway Bar Bushings. As well as the front struts being blown.

So definitely get it checked out if you hear the crunching sound. I had heard some noise back in October and took it in for a checkup but Dealer said they didn't see anything wrong. 3 Months later all those Bushings need to be replaced.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Green0j0s
Took my car in to the dealer yesterday. I had a brake flush done a couple months ago there and recently since the weather got colder my brake lights would turn on overnight on their own and drained the battery. I suspected air still in the lines so took it back.

I also had a few concerns about some noise in the front end, mostly on the front left (Drivers Side) exactly as you guys said, heard a rubber crunching sound. Got the call today turns out Bad Control Arm Bushings and Sway Bar Bushings. As well as the front struts being blown.

So definitely get it checked out if you hear the crunching sound. I had heard some noise back in October and took it in for a checkup but Dealer said they didn't see anything wrong. 3 Months later all those Bushings need to be replaced.
Problem with your brake lights could be brake light switch ($15). It is just above the brake pedal. If your mechanic bleed breaks old way switch worked some overtime.

Broken bushings could be easily overlooked in the early stage. Three months and cold weather could make a difference.

Front struts wise I would definitely look for second and third opinion. Each one is $1500 plus labor and you didn't mention any symptoms.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forgot to say the car was lowering itself pretty low on the front end over night.

When I would go out to turn the car on in the morning my front tires were tucking in the front fenders. Car would lift up right away as I got into the car but this was every morning.

Good thing, dealer called me to let me know my extended warranty only needed me to call in and confirm the repairs. All is being covered. I'll have her back next Wednesday.

For now enjoying driving the new Supercharged A6. Quick little sucker.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You forgot to say two minor things: that your front end is bottoming overnight and that you have warranty. From what you didn't forget to say I was under impression that you need some help.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just saw this by chance...
Makes me think superglue would be a good fix.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

F@kk!!! Spoke too soon.

Now getting push back from the warranty, not wanting to cover the air struts even though they are covered and are faulty.

Audi Dealer told me they confirmed no leaks in the lines and Valve Block, compressor is also working fine too.

The warranty adjuster says he needs proof from the dealership that the air struts are leaking. I don't know what else to do now. Dealer says they showed the adjuster the air lines, compressor and valve block holding pressure, but the adjuster/warranty wants more they want to see the leak from the struts. Audi says the air bags are enclosed and they can't simply spray water on it to show the leak. wTF!!!

Anyone ever go through this!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Crunch" or squeak from front suspension