A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 A8 Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D3 A8 Coolant leak

I have a 07 audi a8L with 57k on the odometer. I have noticed a slow coolant leak since I have had to refill once or twice over the past year. WHen I changed my oil yesterday I dug around a bit to try and find the culprit. Sure enough...

I found a drip leak from this part on the bottom right of the front of the engine. The radiator lower radiator pipe goes into it. Its located in front of the oil pan and bolts to the engine. Im guessing its a water pump or something? Can anyone ID this part?

The leak is coming from the back of it. I assume there is a gasket that needs to be replaced but identifying the part is the first part.

Then ill need to research how to fix it...

Name:  IMG-20131012-00352_zps0cdc4fd8.jpg
Views: 7265
Size:  99.3 KB
Name:  IMG-20131012-00351_zps8389ba14.jpg
Views: 6902
Size:  106.9 KB
Name:  IMG-20131012-00353_zpsa6c81741.jpg
Views: 5977
Size:  67.7 KB
Old 10-13-2013, 10:49 AM
vmk
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it say to the left of the Audi logo (First pic). STRA? Can't make out the letters
Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Check this tread.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

i was able to find instructions for the removal and reinstallation of the coolant pump. There are two o rings and i suspect that is the source of the issue.

My challenge...if I choose to do this myself, is how to deal with the 13 quarts of coolant that will dump out and how to refill without using a pressure pump like they would at audi.

Anyone have success in a flush of this coolant system on a D3? Any tricks to it? Do you just drain and then fill it? or does that cause air bubbles in the system when refilling?

It looked like Id be able to do this myself, but making sure the coolant is dealt with properly seems to be the hardest part.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Name:  Untitled_zpsb5855c24.png
Views: 7800
Size:  40.7 KB

I believe the source to be the o rings behind the water pump unit itself. # 8, 11. I would probably order all new gaskets (if thats possible to just get the gaskets. Ill call audi monday.

If anyone can help me understand the challenges related to a coolant flush, that is what I am most concerned about with this job.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 AM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYI coolant flush

Originally Posted by dripppps

I believe the source to be the o rings behind the water pump unit itself. # 8, 11. I would probably order all new gaskets (if thats possible to just get the gaskets. Ill call audi monday.

If anyone can help me understand the challenges related to a coolant flush, that is what I am most concerned about with this job.
I was successful with the flush, partially refilling using the heater line air bleed ports at the top rear of the engine, under the cowl. Parking the car at an upward incline seemed to help too. Patience, it takes a while to purge out all the air.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

So it seems like quite a few things here. Is the leak you have caused by the oil cooler connection pipe cracking or something else?

My car is due for a timing belt and water pump change fairly soon so I want to take care of this potential issue whilst I'm in there by upgrading to this metal part.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=261296227103
Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

i think its just the o ring because that part of the pump is all metal. However, when I dig in it could be more than i expect.

It would be really helpful to better understand the details behind "purging " all of the air. I really want to ensure I know what I am getting into.

Im awaiting a quote from audi for the job. I suspect its more than Im will to pay considering that I think I can do the job.

So what I need all of your help with is the steps to drain the coolant and fill the coolant.

I assume I would just use the drain plug on the coolant pump to drain it. Is there other drain locations I need to consider?

WHen it comes time to filling, did you poor a little in at a time? or just top it off and then run the car? describe the burping process if you could?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi wants 720 bones for labor to do this job. Ill be tackling it myself. If anyone can give some tips on getting air out of the coolant after a drain and fill...that would be great. If it is as simple as filling, letting get up to temp to run the pump, then letting the system cool and rechecking level. Repeat.

If thats all it is...please confirm. I just dont want to have air cause damage to the coolant pump after the fix.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found the below online. The bold part is what I am unsure of and could use any help that anyone can offer...
  1. When the engine has cooled down, remove the Audi antifreeze tank cap.
  2. Draining the Audi antifreeze from the V8 cooling system:
  3. There are 2 drain plugs. One on the drivers side and one on the passenger side of the oil pan. To drain the Audi antifreeze from the radiator, remove the lower passenger side radiator hose.
  4. After the system is done draining, put the Audi antifreeze tank cap back on. Carefully work off and remove the smallest hose that is connected to the top of the Audi antifreeze tank. Be careful, the tank nipple likes to crack and break off.
  5. With a blow gun and compressed air on low, carefully insert the blow nozzle into the small hose. Wearing safety goggles, carefully force the air out so that any Audi antifreeze that's still trapped in the cooling system is released.
  6. Reinstall the Audi antifreeze drain plugs. Reinstall the antifreeze tank hose(s). Fill the Audi cooling system with distilled water. Start the car and air bleed the cooling system as outlined in the factory manual. Run the car until the cooling fan comes on.
  7. Repeat steps 1 through 5 until the water comes out clean.
  8. Verify that you have the correct anti-phosphate anti-amine G11 or G12 Audi antifreeze. If it's full concentrate, mix a 50/50 ratio per the Bentley manual. Fill your Audi cooling system with this 50/50 mixture. You MUST dilute the antifreeze using DISTILLED water to a 50/50 concentration. DO NOT mix normal tap water with antifreeze. Tap water varies in pH, mineral, and chemical content and depending on these factors can adversely affect your new antifreeze and the cooling system. Note: Some do not require further dilution.factory Audi antifreezes sold by dealers are already premixed and
  9. Run the V8 engine and check for any Audi antifreeze leaks.
  10. Top off the antifreeze tank to the fill line. Do not overfill.
  11. Using a permanent marker, write 'G11 or G12 antifreeze Only' on the Audi antifreeze tank.
  12. Be environmentally responsible and dispose of your old Audi antifreeze properly.

Quick Reply: D3 A8 Coolant leak