A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter removal

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter removal

A8 2004 how to get the starter
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took spark plugs out manualy turned engine the first quarter turn was almost like it is locked heard a sound around starter area then the engine turned freely like it should with no compressin and the funny thing is I didn't evenknow what I was doing I just started taking it apart bumper lights the whole nine .no manual nothing just alittle confidence and a lot of patiants anyway now I need to get to starter I can't see it I only have two jacks barly anytools but I need to get to this starter
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Engine must be supported at the rear. Audi sez to use top mount support bar and connect to rear engine eyelets. Most shops have car on houst and bring transmission jack up to support from the bottom. Subframe then gets unbolted/ removed. Then you can get at it. This is a repair where the part and labor are about the same amount each so I paid to have it done.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took the wheel off cover and under cover still can't locate starter 'any diagrams ...mister bally I would love to take it to shop since its snowing and I'm freezing my ***** off lol but I havee to work with what I got I have enuff $ for the starter that's it ...I shouldn't even own an audi let alone an a8 I should have a honda that would fit my budget and that's the truth ..but I drove one once and I said I got to have it and its my first car I make 26,000 a yr and with no help but this forum I make do
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4RINGkingA8L
I took the wheel off cover and under cover still can't locate starter 'any diagrams ...mister bally I would love to take it to shop since its snowing and I'm freezing my ***** off lol but I havee to work with what I got I have enuff $ for the starter that's it ...I shouldn't even own an audi let alone an a8 I should have a honda that would fit my budget and that's the truth ..but I drove one once and I said I got to have it and its my first car I make 26,000 a yr and with no help but this forum I make do
It's really in there. Right ontop of the subframe, you can see it if you crawl underneath the car. I would seriously recommend having a mechanic changing it out for you, if you're unfamiliar with the procedure as you can ruin an engine mount or other things. Why are you replacing the starter?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had problems starting it up it would take about 10 times to start it would sound as if the starter was doing its job but I would only get a clunk and several trys it would finnaly turn over and I noticed the rpm needdle wouldn't move but once every ten trys so I paid a guy to bring over his scanner and only got a throttlebody code '..I took the valve covers off checked spark plugs and see if it was getting gas someone said to do it on thread somewhere there were 'i tryed turning the engine but couldnt get a socket on I took bumper off got the radiator out enuff to get the socket on and tryed turning the engine was stuck just for the beginning of the turn and sounded like the starter was pushing out but not but retracting I'm assuming but again this is the first time under the hood for me and I read taking out coils spark plugs should let the engine turn very easy and I would try and start the car once and get a clunk and I would go back and manualy try and turn it and it would feel stuck for the first quarter turn then a sound and it would spin super easy ..
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you checked your battery? What you described sounds like starter, but bad battery might cause same problem.

I agree with guys. Let professionals do that change. From what you said you have no means to do it yourself.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I learn everything from this forum no where else , and I'm always saying how thankful I am to have people on here that are patiant with me and help me out . If I did have the money to pay to get it fixed right now I would because it snowing and freezing cold and i m working with two sizzor jacks but if It was nice out and I had all the right tools I would try because I need to learn how but I have no option I have 310.00 bucks to my name and the starter cost just that ...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I checked battery its brand new two months old,it dies so fast when I try and start it like its working extra hard to push starter.with the coils and spark out the engine should have no problem turning since the compression isn't there but I try and turn its liked locked but just for first quarter turn then spins easy I try and start with the key clunk and then try and manualy turn it same feeling locked just for the first turn , then spins free .I learned that on here as well and I know I'm not professional but u guys are ..and I took the bumper cam shaft covers and everything else needed to get this far and never been under the hood a day in my life and I did it with no issues thanks to u guys and I know u guys are trying to help and not let me mess anything up I just need ur confidence and assistance .i learned its 12.5v to turn this motor from u guys everything I learned was from u guys have some faith in me . My car is my life I take my time with it I can't afford to brake anything ..
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm begining to feel like the starter is a ghost ...I really. Can't find it I'm getting a wrecker to lift the front end up for me and barrow some jack stands I need more space

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starter removal