A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 Headlights on a D3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
Those F's are not welcomed here. Besides that you are not right. Nobody is allowed to do whatever he wants with his car if he is going to use it on a public roads. Wrongly installed HID bulbs in regular headlights are serious menace. High power LED's can be worst.
I can honestly say this has to be the first time I'v see someone swear in this forum in regards to getting suggestion/feedback from a question being asked.....I am on other euro forums previously the JDM forums back in the day but this forums has some of the most polite and helpful members. I think you might taken some of the comments the wrong way but lets move on.

I too love the D4 headlights but I cant picture them on the D3. Its says a lot that Audi stuck with the regular headlights on the D3 vs going with the LED as the like the other models. Im sure they could have designed it just like the A6 with LED across the bottom but stuck with the regular one. I say go for it try it and see.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The D4 matrix lights are a work of ART but realistically you can't move them over to the D3, even if you went to the hassle of hacking your D3 around so the bodywork fitted around the lights how would you make them function, the matrix lights switch on and off various led's to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

I guess this is done by either by the radar sensors or a camera mounted on the car or both, either way you would need all the ecu's, sensor's wiring etc to make it work and then somehow have it integrate into the d3, I would be confident to say that the headlights get all manner of messages from the car's various ecu's and you can't honestly expect the ecu's in the d3 to transmit the same messages that the various ecu's in d4 does.

Sorry but if you want D4 matrix lights the only sensible answer is go buy a D4
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think he was even thinking about 2015 matrix lights. Just angry led's. Or am I wrong?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Even if someone can retrofit D4 LED Headlight to D3... I don't think

the car even look good because the sharp angle and straight line LED don't match the soft curvy line of the D3 body and front facet.
The art of German car design does follow a theme, not like eyesores, disoriented of many Japanese cars, Round goes with round, square goes with square and they don't mix them.
Imagine your D3 soft curvy lines with the LED lights like Jake's D4... I think it's a little off... IMO. D4 is a sharp angle - rectangular like shape which many of us here don't approve.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on that. I don't like them on D4 either. Probably most of people too. That's why they changed them for 2015.

But OP likes them and this is his tread.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamm220
I can honestly say this has to be the first time I'v see someone swear in this forum in regards to getting suggestion/feedback from a question being asked.....I am on other euro forums previously the JDM forums back in the day but this forums has some of the most polite and helpful members. I think you might taken some of the comments the wrong way but lets move on.

I too love the D4 headlights but I cant picture them on the D3. Its says a lot that Audi stuck with the regular headlights on the D3 vs going with the LED as the like the other models. Im sure they could have designed it just like the A6 with LED across the bottom but stuck with the regular one. I say go for it try it and see.

Hey, just wanted to apologize to anyone who were offended by my use of the letter "F". It's nothing personal, just a poor choice of words I guess. Not a big fan of the word "impossible", as some of you stated that "it will never happen". I'm sure someone with enough determination and the finance will figure out a solution to there headlights. The A8 D3 has been one of my favorite cars and just wished there were more of a demand for after market parts. Well I guess I will keep looking for a solutions. Thanks everyone and I will do my best to choose my words carefully from now on...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiA8NYC
Hey, just wanted to apologize to anyone who were offended by my use of the letter "F". It's nothing personal, just a poor choice of words I guess. Not a big fan of the word "impossible", as some of you stated that "it will never happen". I'm sure someone with enough determination and the finance will figure out a solution to there headlights. The A8 D3 has been one of my favorite cars and just wished there were more of a demand for after market parts. Well I guess I will keep looking for a solutions. Thanks everyone and I will do my best to choose my words carefully from now on...
I think you hit the nail on the head with demand for aftermarket parts...when you consider comparatively how few D3s were sold vis a vis A4s and A6s, it makes sense that not a ton of companies out there are making aftermarket parts for them. In fact, I rarely see any vintage A8 anywhere on the roads...I think I can count on 2 hands the number of D2/D3/D4s I have personally seen in 2 years of living in Massachusetts. Compare that to the number of 7s and S-class Mercs and Audis and it's crazy how few people drive these cars.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's a really good reason to not even think about it. They will not fit.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2015, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by EricVonHa
Here's a really good reason to not even think about it. They will not fit.
Emm this is where you are wrong my friend

I do not know HOW but i am very interested on doing this.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by infinit0s
Emm this is where you are wrong my friend

I do not know HOW but i am very interested on doing this.
I suspect a retrofit of a string of LED DRLs inside the existing lamp units as opposed to full on Adaptive LED headlamps.

Quick Reply: D4 Headlights on a D3?