A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead, real dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Dead, real dead

I started the car this morning and rolled up the windows. Running maybe 10 seconds. Jumped in it this afternoon and it is DEAD. No electrical.
Battery was hot, drove it a hour on Wednesday and twice yesterday, maybe an hour.
It read about a fuse. Also tried key and it is stuck in ignition now.
Plan on opening trunk and pulling cables and reinstalling tomorrow. Battery is a AGM from Advanced, maybe 3 years ago.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

What fuse can cause this?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not sure

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
What fuse can cause this?
Read somewhere about a main fuse that blows. Hope it is battery connection.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

By your description, the hot battery meant something with somewhat high current draw drained it.

You should know how to remove the key stuck in the ignition. It's in the owners manual.

Every emergency procedure for the car should be practiced under ideal conditions. When there is a failure, the conditions are usually crappy.
1. Remote dies. Manual key access for drivers door and trunk.
2 Sunroof motor failure. In open position and rain falling.
3. Hood latch cable breakage.
4. Ignition key stuck due to dead battery.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have got to look for it

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
By your description, the hot battery meant something with somewhat high current draw drained it.

You should know how to remove the key stuck in the ignition. It's in the owners manual.

Every emergency procedure for the car should be practiced under ideal conditions. When there is a failure, the conditions are usually crappy.
1. Remote dies. Manual key access for drivers door and trunk.
2 Sunroof motor failure. In open position and rain falling.
3. Hood latch cable breakage.
4. Ignition key stuck due to dead battery.

I have the original and was looking through it. Do not know if it was “put away” or thrown away.
Will look for it also. I have not seen the owners manual in 3 - 4 months.
Plan On using other key to open the trunk and reset battery.
The hot battery was my description of fully charged. After driving for a few hours recently it should be fully charged.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

1. Besides the electoral load question, I would not assume automatically the battery is good. Maybe defective, maybe constant heavy drain, maybe some already accumulated run downs, maybe just got a relative lemon. 3 years is on early side, maybe more so for AGM, but possible.

2. Consider that maybe the main safety fuse blew for whatever reason. Supposed to only blow itself up (literally) in a crash, but maybe. It is there with the battery if you just follow the negative to the enclosure box. Variously look at it for signs it is blown and possibly jumper past it (with probably literally a starting jumper cable) and see if you get current flow. Alternately just disconnect the heavy leads temporarily and then test for continuity. Don't play with any jumpering of the small power leads/connector to it, or...poof/bang.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-15-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Will give it a try

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
1. Besides the electoral load question, I would not assume automatically the battery is good. Maybe defective, maybe constant heavy drain, maybe some already accumulated run downs, maybe just got a relative lemon. 3 years is on early side, maybe more so for AGM, but possible.

2. Consider that maybe the main safety fuse blew for whatever reason. Supposed to only blow itself up (literally) in a crash, but maybe. It is there with the battery if you just follow the negative to the enclosure box. Variously look at it for signs it is blown and possibly jumper past it (with probably literally a starting jumper cable) and see if you get current flow. Alternately just disconnect the heavy leads temporarily and then test for continuity. Don't play with any jumpering of the small power leads/connector to it, or...poof/bang.
Been busy being honored today. Going to open the trunk and get started soon.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Never expected

The AGM from Advance seems to be the issue. Read 3 volts in the car and about 5 vdc on the trusty Simpson 260 after pulling out of the car. Advance closed before I could get down there.
It is sitting on my charger drawing six amperes. Will see if it takes a charge.
The car sits for long periods sometimes, but drove it three days in a row before it failed. Cranked right off each time. May be heat related, it has been in the 90’s.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default On the road again

Think the case cracked on the Advance Auto H8 AGM. Saw some white power under the battery. Did not see a crack after pulling out. Might explain it dying in less than 4 years. Died fast, went from operating fine to DEAD in six hours.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

You never know....I bought an OEM battery for my wife's Q5 last year....put it in myself.....and it died within 3 months. It took me a while to troubleshoot it.....and I would of never believed what I saw unless I recorded it....and you WOULDN'T believe the time I had getting a replacement from the dealer. In the end, I had to pay them $185 to install it and code the car, they wanted an extra $150 troubleshooting fee, all after I bought the battery for something like $240. I had to call the GM of the dealer and leave a message to get any movement. Here is the video....worth a watch:

Quick Reply: Dead, real dead