A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead, real dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW
You never know....I bought an OEM battery for my wife's Q5 last year....put it in myself.....and it died within 3 months. It took me a while to troubleshoot it.....and I would of never believed what I saw unless I recorded it....and you WOULDN'T believe the time I had getting a replacement from the dealer. In the end, I had to pay them $185 to install it and code the car, they wanted an extra $150 troubleshooting fee, all after I bought the battery for something like $240. I had to call the GM of the dealer and leave a message to get any movement. Here is the video....worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9ASBQz3X_E
Most Audi Batteries need to be coded/program or else it will died fast, its because they use a battery management system and it doesn't charge battery past the last state of the defective battery, they do this so you don't over charge a defective battery, have to remember the battery is in the cabin under your seat or in the trunk, if you over charge a defective battery it will get hot and explode or release deadly fumes, so that why,,

when you replace battery you have to let the battery management know then it will charge battery fully and gradually reduce charging base of aging and usage of the battery..
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Last post

The battery hold down bolt and shiny clamp were right there. But whatever the bolt screws into is gone. May have fell into the body.
The hole is about an inch in diameter. What is the bolt supposed to screw into?
Old 06-18-2019, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

this hole?
Originally Posted by Panelhead
The battery hold down bolt and shiny clamp were right there. But whatever the bolt screws into is gone. May have fell into the body.
what hole? pic?

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-18-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:45 PM
Engineer

if its a thin wire close to the tail light its the battery management signal wire, connect it to B+
Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not a wire

The battery hold down has a metal plate that clamps the battery down to prevent movement. The bolt with a 13mm head has nothing to screw into. It looks like there was an insert threaded for the bolt. Looked with a flashlight and do no see it below the hole.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Engineer

The battery hold down has a metal plate that clamps the battery down to prevent movement. The bolt with a 13mm head has nothing to screw into. It looks like there was an insert threaded for the bolt. Looked with a flashlight and do no see it below the hole.

mate I think you lost us
Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

My friend's 04 had the same issue with his battery, I think they either get stripped or whatever nut that is welded to the bottom side of the hole (which I don't think is accessible) broke off when he had the battery replaced. There isn't much you can do about it....at least with the battery cables and the cover, it doesn't move around much.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hate that

Originally Posted by PaulW
My friend's 04 had the same issue with his battery, I think they either get stripped or whatever nut that is welded to the bottom side of the hole (which I don't think is accessible) broke off when he had the battery replaced. There isn't much you can do about it....at least with the battery cables and the cover, it doesn't move around much.

Mine must have snapped off. Leaves a large hole. Looked around and cannot see a nut or plate down below the battery. Think this is how the case of the previous battery cracked. Left fine white power under the battery.
Did not see a crack in the case. Plus all was dry.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

In case it helps someone some day; when replacing battery, the nut that is in that hole was invisible on my '04 A8L. The impressively long bolt reached it and drew it up tight. I first thought the nut was spot-welded to the underside of the battery tray and it had fallen off, but no, it is evidently captive in there somehow.

Been busy being honored today. Going to open the trunk and get started soon.
What were ya being honored for, George?

Any update on this battery issue? I just put an Optima yellow battery in my Sage green A8L. Didn't recode. I've seen the SSP talking about battery management, and I've seen people replace VWAG batteries without recode and seem successful. New computer & haven't got VCDS working on it yet... plus lazy, TBH...

-Tom
Old 09-24-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
In case it helps someone some day; when replacing battery, the nut that is in that hole was invisible on my '04 A8L. The impressively long bolt reached it and drew it up tight. I first thought the nut was spot-welded to the underside of the battery tray and it had fallen off, but no, it is evidently captive in there somehow.

What were ya being honored for, George?

Any update on this battery issue? I just put an Optima yellow battery in my Sage green A8L. Didn't recode. I've seen the SSP talking about battery management, and I've seen people replace VWAG batteries without recode and seem successful. New computer & haven't got VCDS working on it yet... pl
-Tom
I will try that. Maybe there is a nut loose in here. Would like it secured.
That was Father's Day weekend. Kids were working on Sunday. Getting the Audi going again was good enough.
The following users liked this post:
aTOMic (09-25-2019)