A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer unable to remove CP...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Nice video Scott... Now I know, if it really works...

My rework friend can do this in less than 10 minutes, professionally. This is child play :-) Even I can do it, but always leave to the professional.

I may create a fixture to read the data and program this simple EEprom so I can do this CP thing for $20 a shot?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, I think I found what's needed to do this without soldering...

1. We need to unplug the head unit, expose the AT24C64 8 pin IC. We will use the power from the USB programmer to read the data and save it.
2. Buy this USB programmer http://amzn.to/2vnRn7O
3. Buy this IC clip to clip on to the AT24C64 on board, make sure pin 1 is correct. http://amzn.to/2fu0ik5
4. Watch this video and download all the correct files for your computer.

**** This is based on my logical theory and HAVE NOT Tested ****

Got to love technologies these days :-)

Whoever volunteers to be a guinea pig and tries this out, please report the results.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Your Indy Sounds Like They Have Abrites...

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Hey Giovanni, thanks for the info. I talked to the mechanic who "tried" and he just said he followed the steps in their diagnostic system, and it would not unlock. And he really didn't know what else to do. I asked him if he thought it was defective, and he said no. And he said a couple of other things about coding and CP that made me think he was either following the directive from his boss to avoid any CP removal work, and they were just "trying" because I am a current/former customer, or else he really might not have known what he was doing. Either way I wasn't going to get anywhere at that dealer. I then called the only other Audi dealer here in LV, and they flat out declined to even try, and said that per management, the dealership did not do CP removal, because there were "liability issues."

I have read the other postings about adding the video circuit to an older CH unit, like the one that came with my car, but I'm not really interested in disassembling and soldering, or exchanging chips at this point.... I just want to exchange mine for the "A" module. The ebay seller I got the "A" module from says it was tested before he shipped it. At this point it is working in all respects, except for the CP fault code and of course no sound. No other VCDS errors. I have the name of an independent shop that others have said can remove CP, and they claim they can do it, so I'm planning to go there on Friday.
...which will do the job. Can think of any other way they would be able to do so.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
1. We need to ... Blah blah blah, blah bla...
...Watch this video and download all the correct files for your computer.

**** This is based on my logical theory and HAVE NOT Tested ****

Got to love technologies these days :-)
...Whoever volunteers to be a guinea pig and tries this out, please report the results.

Cheers,

Louis
Louis, you KNOW you want to be that rodent. Bite the bullet...

Thanks for the viddies, and (as usual) your understanding of this shiite never ceases to amaze me... Mad props to you, my friend the mad scientist!

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
I have has similar heartburn with AUDI smartkeys, which you can only get a dealer to program. These sort of crappy customer service policies REALLY make me question the AUDI brand.
Thank you for the vids, too, Scott! Welcome to AW (like I am some sort of amb***ador). I hope your Cramps get better soon. (Haven't you been here more than 162 posts? Or is that on another forum?).

May I suggest those of us dissatisfied with Audi customer service CALL AoA and TALK INCESSANTLY.
I am convinced that they are not allowed to initiate the close of conversation.
Their algorithms (VWAG is BIG on algorithms, in case you haven't heard) probably assign greater "weights" to longer calls, and, if I may speculate, calls which mention a particular competitor.

Mercedes-Benz has a "Classics Center" which can provide any part for any car Daimler-Benz EVER PRODUCED (at obscene prices, of course); but the point is that Audi seems to WANT to recycle its cars -- instead of building on the durability aspect (wonder why) and to recycle their (our) aluminum. (THE most recyclable metal on Earth, infinitely reusable - unlike other metals, which need to be analyzed, renewed, and analyzed again (no homo) for properties lost during recycling.

We need to rise up against The (Ger)man, and tell him this shiste don't fly in the US of A.

Got any friends with a 2004 Lexus? Ask them if you can drive their car in to their dealer for service. They practically blow you.

Audi doesn't seem to value its repeat customers, unless the "repeat" comes every year or so.
NOT a sustainable business model.
/Rant off.

-Tom
Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's been a while to see you post something TOM...

Originally Posted by aTOMic

-Tom
I think you mistaken me with someone who likes to break his/her own car. "If it works, why fix it" as I always tell myself. So, if for any reasons, my Head Unit is dead, and I have to replace with a new one and CP appears, then I'll try it.
I just got all my stuff ready for kick the trunk to get it open, haven't had time to do it, it will be amazing if it works.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well....took the car to the indy shop that is Audi authorized to remove CP....the mechanic used to be the shop foreman for the Audi dealer. He tried for 2 hours and the CH would not respond to the Audi diagnostic equipment. Same thing the dealer told me earlier this week. His conclusion - the unit is defective. So out it comes, and back it goes, until I can get a replacement. All of this for a rear view camera....
Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Necromancer

Default Sometimes...

Well....took the car to the indy shop that is Audi authorized to remove CP....the mechanic used to be the shop foreman for the Audi dealer. He tried for 2 hours and the CH would not respond to the Audi diagnostic equipment. Same thing the dealer told me earlier this week. His conclusion - the unit is defective. So out it comes, and back it goes, until I can get a replacement. All of this for a rear view camera....
...the dealer is right. Still, these dealers refusing to even try to remove CP are outta line.

Recently, I took my S8 in for bad rear footwell heaters blowing both fuses and throwing codes. They fixed the right but CND'd the left. Sometime during the drive home, the left blew its fuse again. First bring back, R&R fuse could not get it to blow again. Drove it for a week and VAG found "fault in left footwell electrical circuit" but did not blow fuse. Second bring back, tech calls me and says ODIS indicates the failure code is invalid and can be ignored. Huh? AUDIs throw specious OBDII 2 codes that can only be found as such by AUDI special sauce code scanner? Nice diag code and a business model that gets your most committed enthusiasts to bring mich Werkstette for no good reason.

There's a reason why my sig has an AUDI lemon pic!
Attached Images   
Old 08-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Necromancer

Default Wife has A 2012 RX350

Originally Posted by aTOMic

Thanks for the viddies, and (as usual) your understanding of this shiite never ceases to amaze me... Mad props to you, my friend the mad scientist!

Thank you for the vids, too, Scott! Welcome to AW (like I am some sort of amb***ador). I hope your Cramps get better soon. (Haven't you been here more than 162 posts? Or is that on another forum?).

May I suggest those of us dissatisfied with Audi customer service CALL AoA and TALK INCESSANTLY.
I am convinced that they are not allowed to initiate the close of conversation.
Their algorithms (VWAG is BIG on algorithms, in case you haven't heard) probably assign greater "weights" to longer calls, and, if I may speculate, calls which mention a particular competitor.

Mercedes-Benz has a "Classics Center" which can provide any part for any car Daimler-Benz EVER PRODUCED (at obscene prices, of course); but the point is that Audi seems to WANT to recycle its cars -- instead of building on the durability aspect (wonder why) and to recycle their (our) aluminum. (THE most recyclable metal on Earth, infinitely reusable - unlike other metals, which need to be analyzed, renewed, and analyzed again (no homo) for properties lost during recycling.

We need to rise up against The (Ger)man, and tell him this shiste don't fly in the US of A.

Got any friends with a 2004 Lexus? Ask them if you can drive their car in to their dealer for service. They practically blow you.

Audi doesn't seem to value its repeat customers, unless the "repeat" comes every year or so.
NOT a sustainable business model.
/Rant off.

-Tom
Dealership treats her like a queen. But then, it's a Lexus, so all it's ever needed is regular maintenance and a battery. BTW, I pull codes on it monthly, I never found anything other than the bad bat.
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So out it comes, and back it goes, until I can get a replacement. All this for a rear view camera....
Out of interest, did the Q7 Control Head have an A8 part number [4E0 ...] or a Q7 one? If not, maybe a 4E0 version might be a better bet.

And by the way, I replaced my original A8 'beeping' sensor system with the later ECU that gave the graphic display...

And I still look out the back window when I'm reversing

Julian
Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
Out of interest, did the Q7 Control Head have an A8 part number [4E0 ...] or a Q7 one? If not, maybe a 4E0 version might be a better bet.

And by the way, I replaced my original A8 'beeping' sensor system with the later ECU that gave the graphic display...

And I still look out the back window when I'm reversing

Julian
Yep, Q7 CH was 4E0 035 729A. Even came with 4610 firmware, same as I have in the car. My original was same part number, but without "A". I'm sure I'll keep looking out the back but the vision is limited, I know a RVC will help. The eBay outfit that sold me the CH is on the lookout for another "A" unit. Meanwhile I'll swap my old CH back in, at least I'll be able to listen to music again.

Quick Reply: Dealer unable to remove CP...?