A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death to Onstar -but Bluetooth confusion....

Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Death to Onstar -but Bluetooth confusion....

so i have the pretty onstar lights up in my early '05 headliner and want to go BT...I've read a lot of the threads here and it seems there are 3 options, ( and please correct any wrong conclusions I've come to... :-) ):
a) Revised phone cradle and BMW puck...very basic funtionality, no phone book, no dialing control from steering wheel controls or MMI. Basically mutes stereo/nav when receiving or making a call..
b) Paul Ws' very detailed Audipages writeup, gives a lot of funtionality, but requires a fair bit of trim disassembly and doesn't use the mic already in the headliner. Tricky for an idjit like me...
c) replace the telematics box with an OEM bT module, do some Vag Com and a spot of repinning and get full MMI MFSW control...

is this all about right ?
option C sounds by far the easiest, but if that's the case, well, we'd all be doing it wouldn't we...

So who's done what and can shed some light ?
cheers
!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have the revised cradle and BTUM puck and while the phonebook does not (more)

import, you can manually add and save numbers and names so that you can dial by voice by activating the phone with the button on the steering wheel. For the money I am very happy I chose that route.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didn't get the impression that option C was all that easy.

The B-cradle just snaps in and the puck pops into it. Definitely the most idiot-proof route & I believe least expensive.

The steering wheel controls do work and the voice command can be used to store frequently dialed numbers, so I don't miss the directory upload at all. I don't imagine it's much easier to dial from a stored memory than it is to scroll to the contact on my iPhone and tap the number. Dialing can also be done hands-free by speaking the numbers.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Death to Onstar -but Bluetooth confusion....

So where does one find the revised cradle and the BMW puck? And how hard is installation for Option 1 after those pieces have been secured?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Default What advantages does the factory BT have over the Puck? Could some who's had both please comment...

Would like to hear from someone who's had the puck/cradle and the factory BT. I know with the puck you can push the button on the steering wheel and say "CALL-Nametag" and it will dial. Does the factory BT have the same feature or do you have to scroll through the menus to dial.

What voice commands are available with the factory BT?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Factory BT supports voice commands

for stored tags (ie, CALL TAGNAME) and number based dialing. OF course there are other voice commands for other aspects of the MMI.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The puck does support voice commands for stored tags

I can push the button on the steering wheel and say "call home" or "dial 5 - 5 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 dial" and it will honor those commands. I believe the other MMI commands available on newer cars are unrelated to the bluetooth.

I do not get signal strength displayed, nor can I dial through the MMI wheel directly or access my phonebook.

Basically, all of the commands that worked with OnStar work with the Bluetooth puck.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I didn't get the impression that option C was all that easy.

you could be quite right, honestly I'm just trying to condense everything I've read on it into something i can easily understand...

The factory OEM module seems to run a little under $800, whereas the cradle is less that $100 I believe, and the puck can be picked up on ebay for under $200 ...<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-BTUM-Bluetooth-Upgrade-Module-kit-CPT-9000-CPT9000_W0QQitemZ280242651528QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem280242651528&amp;_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318">if this is the right part</a></li></ul>
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi and BMW parts departments

You may already have the correct cradle. If not, your Audi dealer parts department can get it. It just snaps to the mount under the console armrests. The Bluetooth puck is available from the BMW parts department and just snaps into the cradle. Pairing takes a couple of minutes. Programming voice tags may be most time consuming aspect of the process if you'd like to record several.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Former Vendor

Default i have the....

module, antenna and harness if anybody is interested $650.00 takes it all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death to Onstar -but Bluetooth confusion....