A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denison Ipod interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denison Ipod interface

For those of you who have had the Denison unit for a while, can you enlighten the rest of us as to its performance and whether any quirks have popped up. Specifically, to use the cd changer, do you have to flip in switch on the unit in the glovebox or can you select it through the MMI?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Denison Ipod interface

I've been living with mine for 3 weeks or so. So far I'm pleased with the convenience of the track display and MMI iPod access through the joystick and steering wheel controls. But, it's not without some quirks.

1. Shuffle mode deactivates when manually selecting the next song

2. The MMI display will list 49 songs per "page" of content. The current track that is playing will stop when selecting a new "page", and proceed to play track 1 on the selected page. Not a big issue...but quirky nonetheless

3 The refresh rate of new content on a "page" is somewhat sluggish..it seems like the MMI system could use more memory to deal with this issue.

The CD changer is active when in "iPod mode". Meaning you could choose to select a CD from the MMI menu without flipping the mode switch. The switch simply provides a bypass of the Dension gateway and only allows CD changer access if desired.

All in all, I'm happy with my choice. I tend to be an early technology adopter. Therefore, I'm willing to put up with some of the current quirks of the approach.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comparison with Audi AMI solution? I have not ordered the Gateway as ..

when I asked this forum about the Gateway, the view seemed to be that the Audi solution would have better functionality.
Right now the functionality of the Gateway is infinitely better as Audi does not have a retrofit solution! However, as the Audi unit is now shipping, is there any change in the recommendation to wait?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Comparison with Audi AMI solution? I have not ordered the Gateway as ..

I've heard that Audi is allowing dealers to order new vehicles with the interface. But, I don't know any in my local area (Greater Boston) that have delivered vehicles equipped as such just yet. Do you know if Audi is shipping the retro-fit interface yet?. (check out the link below for information about AMI as posted on the clairparts.com site)I would imagine that there are going to be some stiff requirements to have the dealer perform the retro install for warranty purposes, thus pushing the price close to, or beyond the $499 USD charged by Dension in the states.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411">http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411</a</li></ul>
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks BasicSlvr - what I needed to know
Old 03-02-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Comparison with Audi AMI solution? I have not ordered the Gateway as ..

BasicSlvr,

Perfect.. this is just what i've been looking for! we have the same car and i live in the boston area as well. Can i ask where you got the Dension device and who installed it for you? Any idea on costs as well?

Thanks!!!!