A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing possible wheel bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diagnosing possible wheel bearing problem

I've been having some noise that varies with wheel rotation not engine speed. I've taken the front driver (US) wheel the check for play but didn't seem to notice any play. I chose that wheel as it sounds like this is where the noise is coming from. It seems a little worse when turning on curves to the left. Tires have probably 25% life left. I did have indy shop replace air shock on front passenger side this past January and wondered if it were possible for noise to be coming from that wheel. If they didn't follow procedures to re-torque properly, I read that could cause the bearing to fail.

I recorded a video today and the noise is noticeable if you turn up the volume. Maybe someone can confirm. (I was looking at the road and not the camera, so it may move around some).

https://goo.gl/photos/2TdW7f6EHSo5BAZr6
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Video won't play. My first thought is CV joint. Check for a torn boot and grease around behind the wheel hub.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SS_RTR
I've been having some noise that varies with wheel rotation not engine speed. I've taken the front driver (US) wheel the check for play but didn't seem to notice any play. I chose that wheel as it sounds like this is where the noise is coming from. It seems a little worse when turning on curves to the left. Tires have probably 25% life left. I did have indy shop replace air shock on front passenger side this past January and wondered if it were possible for noise to be coming from that wheel. If they didn't follow procedures to re-torque properly, I read that could cause the bearing to fail.

I recorded a video today and the noise is noticeable if you turn up the volume. Maybe someone can confirm. (I was looking at the road and not the camera, so it may move around some).

https://goo.gl/photos/2TdW7f6EHSo5BAZr6
Replace the wheel bearing. Be sure you also buy a new Stretch Bolt. Follow the R&R as well as retorquing procedure in the service manual. If you do not have the tools, which includes a bearing press, and don't want to purchase them; have a qualified shop do the work for you.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bearing info

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Replace the wheel bearing. Be sure you also buy a new Stretch Bolt. Follow the R&R as well as retorquing procedure in the service manual. If you do not have the tools, which includes a bearing press, and don't want to purchase them; have a qualified shop do the work for you.
Should I go ahead and replace both?

I plan on getting the harbor freight press others have mentioned.
20 ton H-Frame Industrial Heavy Duty Floor Shop Press

ECSTuning shows 4E0498625B Audi D3 A8 Quattro 4.2 Drivetrain Wheel Bearings - 4E0498625B - Front Wheel Bearing - Priced Each - ES#382805 as coming with the five bolts but same part# from AudiPartsUSA FRONT WHEEL BEARING for 2007 Audi A8 Quattro|4E0-498-625-B doesn't seem to indicate that the bolts are included.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Since your tires are worn, I would try new tires first. Worn tires can sound and feel like a bad wheel bearing.