A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dino's 2010 A8L Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dino's 2010 A8L Thread

It's seems logical to start a thread about my car instead of continuing in the other thread where I asked advice about another car!

No issues to report as of yet. The worst is a squeaky hinge on the driver's door. It's been pretty cold here so once it warms up I'll clean up all the hinges and put some fresh grease on them.

There is still that creaking sound when the suspension flexes. It still sounds like the dash but it's probably the sway bar or the control arm bushings. Either way it's an easy fix and something to do when it warms up. It doesn't really do it on the freeway or smooth roads so I rarely hear it once I'm out of my subdivision. Suspension still goes up and down so all is well there. Every time I shut off the car, the compressor seems to release pressure. I'm assuming it's supposed to do that?

I can't say enough good things about this car, it's an absolute dream to drive. The cup holders are pretty useless though so I need to find a fix for those, but that's really all the bad I can say about it. I'm very happy that I didn't buy a car without the heated steering wheel. It's a priceless option in my book and it works flawlessly! The seat also heats up way faster than the one in my old car so on these sub 20 degree mornings, I'm all comfy before I get onto the main road. I love it!

I still have a lot to learn about the car and a lot of manual to read, but I'm getting there! Now I see there's hidden features and stuff? Is this a car or a space ship? :-)

Why the heck did I wait so long to buy one! :-)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:43 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you're having a lot more luck than me, I only had my S8 for a month and I'm pi55ed off with it already, how much can go wrong with one car in a month...??!!!
I wouldn't mind but it's done less than 50k miles and has always been serviced at the correct intervals at Audi....
Oil leak, coolant leak, sunroof not working, yellow suspension light coming on every other day, blown door speakers, stuck dash tweeters blah blah...!!!
And it doesn't ever rain or get cold where I am either...!!!
Just call me lucky.......
Old 03-11-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dang! I'm very sorry to hear that! What are you planning to do? Can you do some of the repairs yourself? Leaks and speakers can usually be fixed with some standard tools, same with the suspension but parts are damn pricey. Can you do some or all of the work yourself?
Old 03-11-2018, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dino1147
Dang! I'm very sorry to hear that! What are you planning to do? Can you do some of the repairs yourself? Leaks and speakers can usually be fixed with some standard tools, same with the suspension but parts are damn pricey. Can you do some or all of the work yourself?
I'm not usually to clever when it comes to fixing things sadly... ):
I normally end up doing more damage than good...!!!
So I'd rather leave it to the people who know what they're doing....
Unfortunately, living in Qatar, those sorts of people are few and far between but I do have one guy who did a fair bit of work on my X5 that I had before I got this, he seems ok and has got all the right tools so I'll get it up to him at some point... Unfortunately, the S8 is the only car I have at the moment that is useable and I need a car for work...
I do have a TT which I bought for $500 here lol, I was hoping I'd get back that yesterday as it went to have some new headlights fitted and a couple of other bits plus our istimara (MOT in UK) inspection which it must have to be legal and to get insured... However, apparently that overheated in the queue for inspection lol so that had to get dragged away on a tow truck, just waiting now to find out what the issue is there as once I get the TT back, I can chuck the S8 at my guy and just let him do what needs doing...
I've always been a BMW man tbh, i had a couple of E38 750i's in the UK, one of which I had for 4 years, both were on around 150k miles when I bought them and around 10 years old and I never had any issues with either of those, ever...
I was lured by the S8 as the guy wanted my X5 in PX, the price was pretty good, I gave the equivalent of I guess around $10k for it, it has only done 48k miles and has a full service history from Audi here and I could tell it had been really well looked after as cars don't fare too well here in the 7/365 sunshine, thats why all the Arabs drive Land Cruisers i guess...!!
So I dunno, I hope when I get it up to the guy that the issues are minor, fluid leaks here are mostly due to perished seals/O rings/hoses so let's see.......
I must say I love the way it drives, feels like a little sports car with the handling and of course, with that V10, it goes like **** off a shovel...
In'sha'Allah as they say here (God willing)....
Old 03-11-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I certainly hope you get it all figured out. It sure is a sweet car and once fixed should last you a very long time. Can't believe you got a TT for 500! That's awesome!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dino1147
Well I certainly hope you get it all figured out. It sure is a sweet car and once fixed should last you a very long time. Can't believe you got a TT for 500! That's awesome!
I hope so too lol wasn't expecting all this crap within the first month of ownership, particularly as on paper, it looked like the sweetest S8 in the country...!!

Yeh, I couldn't believe it either re the TT tbh lol but the guy had had it sat in his parking for over 2 years, he'd had twins and TTs are not exactly what you'd call a family car...
Obvs it needed the lights and a few other silly bit, one window not working, dash screen not working but nothing major, he just couldn't be bothered to do it and just wanted rid, right place right time...
I just hope it overheating is nothing more than a burst hose or something equally as silly, particularly as it cost nearly $300 to get the new lights shipped here...!!
Again, in'sha'Allah lol...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Are you sure S8 really has 50K miles? As in, bone fide it was a garage queen or driven by a little old church lady on Sundays? Unfortunately there are tools floating around web shadows that low lifes can use these days to reset electronic odometers. Driver's seat and steering wheel condition are among the common tip offs something is up.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hope you get it all sorted out!

Took a pic of the MMI today. I think I have the latest version.

Now...I wanted to check the navigation DVD but I can't eject it. I'll need VCDS to unlock it don't I?

Oh, squeaky door hinge turned out to be the rubber wire boot that needed some straightening. The squeak was it rubbing against the frame. All is well!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Are you sure S8 really has 50K miles? As in, bone fide it was a garage queen or driven by a little old church lady on Sundays? Unfortunately there are tools floating around web shadows that low lifes can use these days to reset electronic odometers. Driver's seat and steering wheel condition are among the common tip offs something is up.
Oh yes, for sure, the interior is pristine, there is no wear at all on the steering wheel and on the drivers seat, there is only very small evidence that it’s ever been used, some slight creasing in the leather, that’s all...
Plus, as I say, it has all the manuals and a fully stamped service book by Audi...
i even called the Audi service centre the other day to ask them about something and they confirmed they last had it in August 2016 which corresponds exactly with what’s in the book... I’ve no reason to disbelieve that it has done any more than the 10k or so km since they last had it...
Also, that sort of thing doesn’t go in here in Qatar, certainly not with cars of this calibre, there’s far too much money floating around in this country for Arabs to be worried about making an extra few dollars by winding back their mileage lol...

Guess I’m just unlucky...!!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I lived in the UAE and from my experience the local dealers in that part of the world have literally no idea, or interest in fixing and maintaining anything vaguely exotic/expensive. Total throw away culture at the higher end. They just charge through the nose and let loose a bunch of third world immigrant slave laborers more used to fixing mopeds and donkey carts with bits of string than anything with a computer.

In short, cosmetically excellent cars (as everybody has staff to polish their cars all day), but very poorly maintained underneath.

Quick Reply: Dino's 2010 A8L Thread