A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have adaptive headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have adaptive headlights???

HI Guys,
Lots of posts about this, but so much conflicting info. I have an 06 A8 that I bought wrecked on driver front corner. So no headlight is there and I need a replacement.

Confusion sets in when listings on ebay arent very clear and the part numbers are all over the place. They all look the same, just like my passenger headlight.

My car's passenger light moves up and down at start up like all HID should and it has a cornering bulb. The only real clue I have is that the message center says, "Adaplive Lighting Error" or something like that.

Many people have so many opinions on this. For instance some think that the cornering light/bulb makes it adaptive, but that has nothing to do with the headlights being adaptive.

I just dont want to buy a headlight that is not correct.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am confused too.

Probably the missing headlight does not feedback to the controller and that is why it reported as an error.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what i understand the cornering 3rd bulb in the middle makes it adaptive. I just bought a passenger side unit for my 06 A8L and its adaptive. I need to find the drivers side now. 3 bulbs. But 2005 down will not fit. Kevin.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Get the Part Number For The Passenger Side

Originally Posted by ridinfool
HI Guys,
Lots of posts about this, but so much conflicting info. I have an 06 A8 that I bought wrecked on driver front corner. So no headlight is there and I need a replacement.

Confusion sets in when listings on ebay arent very clear and the part numbers are all over the place. They all look the same, just like my passenger headlight.

My car's passenger light moves up and down at start up like all HID should and it has a cornering bulb. The only real clue I have is that the message center says, "Adaplive Lighting Error" or something like that.

Many people have so many opinions on this. For instance some think that the cornering light/bulb makes it adaptive, but that has nothing to do with the headlights being adaptive.

I just dont want to buy a headlight that is not correct.

Thanks
The label with the part number is on top and just visible in the extreme front corner of the engine bay (see pic). You can then Google it and determine if you have adaptive, HID, LED DR and cross that to the corresponding driver's side PN. I would NOT buy any used Headlight which was not a perfect match or compatible succeeding PN. I would not trust an eBAY seller's description and claimed PN if you do not see a clear pic of the actual part with the PN label shown.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:26 AM
Back axle behind the ears

I assume this (adaptive) is not the same as the foglight coming on on the side you're truing the wheel to then....??
Old 06-19-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mixja23
I assume this (adaptive) is not the same as the foglight coming on on the side you're truing the wheel to then....??
That is the confusion. Some say that the cornering light makes it adaptive, but that is not the headlights being adaptive.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ridinfool
That is the confusion. Some say that the cornering light makes it adaptive, but that is not the headlights being adaptive.
What happens if you turn your steering wheel to the side where you have a headlight then...??
Does just the foglight come on...?? Or your headlight bulb actually moves...??
Can't remember without looking what it says in MMI with regard to turning on and off that feature tbh...
But my 2007 S8 does what you said, up and down when come on and just the foglights come on when turning...
I think 2007 may be a little early for proper adaptive lighting, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 PM

I did have a 2006 A8L last year for only a short while but that came up with the same error on the dash..
I didn't have it long enough to get round to looking into it tho...!!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mixja23
What happens if you turn your steering wheel to the side where you have a headlight then...??
Does just the foglight come on...?? Or your headlight bulb actually moves...??
Can't remember without looking what it says in MMI with regard to turning on and off that feature tbh...
But my 2007 S8 does what you said, up and down when come on and just the foglights come on when turning...
I think 2007 may be a little early for proper adaptive lighting, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
My D3 -04 have the cornering light, my friend who has a A6 -06 has the adaptive headlights.
When i turn my light comes on, when he turns, his whole light moves.

Not sure which is the better system, since i haven't driven his yet but i love my cornering lights.
My PR code lists them as this: PRCode: 8EN = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp and fixed bending light for driving on the right
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by BizarrEftersmak
My D3 -04 have the cornering light, my friend who has a A6 -06 has the adaptive headlights.
When i turn my light comes on, when he turns, his whole light moves.

Not sure which is the better system, since i haven't driven his yet but i love my cornering lights.
My PR code lists them as this: PRCode: 8EN = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp and fixed bending light for driving on the right
Same as me then...

8EV Bi-functional headlight w/ gas discharge lamp, fixed bending light, LED daytime running lights, for driving on the right
8K7 automatic driving light switch
8Q6 Dynamic headlight range control, with dynamic cornering light and cornering light (AFS 2)