A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Proximity Switch / Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Proximity Switch / Battery Issues

I've been doing research here on this issue but need some clarification. My driver's door exterior prox switch has not worked for a few months now - completely dead. The other door prox switches work great - lock/unlock doors & activate alarm. No issues with anything while using the fob. I was convinced that maybe the switch in the door handle was just bad, but after looking at other's experiences - I'm getting cold feet. I have recently been having battery issues which I thought was an isolated event, but now I'm learning of a possible connection between the two issues. This has me thinking that maybe a module is bad? Are there separate modules in each door or one central module? My battery issues are not consistent, which makes more sense when considering that something may be staying awake in the car.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a bad switch.
But check your battery and change if need be.
But it's still a bad switch
Old 11-23-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
It's a bad switch.
But check your battery and change if need be.
But it's still a bad switch
I was hoping the battery issue was tied to the switch to be totally honest. It would be a quick answer to a potential time-suck issue. Earlier in the week - my battery wouldn’t last 5 hours even after reconditioning and charging all night. Last couple of days - it’s been fine. Today it’s acting like it wants to mess up again. I’ve got a new battery, but I don’t want to throw it in till I know for sure. I may bite the bullet and see what happens.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Proximity entry (aka comfort or keyless) is tied to battery health, but only indirectly. That is, it is one of the first systems the power management system cuts out when the battery is low or crapping out. But test is still easy--if none of the door handles work for it but yet remote clicking does, battery power management may well have cut in. The remote clicking to unlock/lock does get cut by power management system too, but only at a later and pretty severe step. On the other hand if all the handles work except one (or at least some of them), the non working ones are dead. Said another way, power management system (and related battery health) cuts the whole function, not just one door.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

' My driver's door exterior prox switch has not worked for a few months now - completely dead. The other door prox switches work great - lock/unlock doors & activate alarm

That's why I think it's the switch