A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door rattle when closing with window open.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door rattle when closing with window open.

has anyone has a similar noise?
when I close my front driver and passenger doors they rattle when the window is down?

it sounds like the track rattling, I took off the drivers side door panel today but I can figure out how to get off the aluminum panel behind that.

anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

no one has any idea?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

mine does it too. i just thought the rubber gaskets maybe shrunk a bit?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rattle

the window regulators are coming loose.
when the window is up the regulator cables are under tension, when down the cables are at rest allowing window to rattle loose, they may last a while or giving up soon.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
the window regulators are coming loose.
when the window is up the regulator cables are under tension, when down the cables are at rest allowing window to rattle loose, they may last a while or giving up soon.
really? so there's nothing I can to to fix it aside from replacing the window regulators?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default What about the guides?

Part of what it uses to hold the window to the track. These were/are infamous on the C5 A6--window gets sloppy in fit and then won't operate. The piece was originally plastic and prone to cracking. Later ones were metal reinforced. Look at Bentley or a dealer parts schematic and see if there is a similar part--two in each door. Not fun to change--the window frame subassembly had to come out of the car. BTDT on the C5.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Part of what it uses to hold the window to the track. These were/are infamous on the C5 A6--window gets sloppy in fit and then won't operate. The piece was originally plastic and prone to cracking. Later ones were metal reinforced. Look at Bentley or a dealer parts schematic and see if there is a similar part--two in each door. Not fun to change--the window frame subassembly had to come out of the car. BTDT on the C5.
awesome, as long as there's a fix, its driving me nuts. I just ordered a bently today o I'll take a look when it comes in.

so its basically a piece in between the window glass and the track, probably used as a guide and to reduce friction right?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Yes, ...

your supposition is correct. At least on the C5 its a very unusual composition part--looks more like something electrical like an insulator material. Perhaps a composite of some sort to deal with wear and fraction. But, if they crack it knocks the window out of kilter. Again though this is C5/A6 experience only; haven't had any D3 window issues thus war.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I know what it is.

Your window sits on a piece of metal that Blues it up and down. The metal clamps the glass from the inside and the outside kind of like a hand holding a taco. Well your taco is broken. Inside the taco is a piece of rubber that gently cradles Your Glass. The bottom of the taco broke and is no longer one piece. Now the sides of your taco a phone out of your hand. They're in the bottom of your door. And the glass is resting in the bare metal. If the door is not completely with the window all the way up or all the way down the glass rattles in that metal capture device. What needs to be done is, the piece of rubber needs to be replaced. Or, repaired. If you want to do the repair for free, take your door apart and use some electrical tape to fit the pieces back together and you will have a new taco shell that will comfortably grip your glass and allow it to rest without rattling.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same problem, but I almost never leave the window all the way down, so I never worried about it.

Quick Reply: door rattle when closing with window open.