A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door handle removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
That repair kit is just the trim piece. It comes as either primed or chrome and right and left. It all depends on the suffix (none-C)
Mine has no "trim piece". Whatcha talkin' 'bout?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm about to replace the passenger handle. Once you have the door apart, and the latch out, are there any hints or tips for removing the handle itself or is it pretty straightforward? Just want to be prepared in case there are any special tools I might need...
Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I didn't get any responses, but went ahead and replaced the passenger door handle today anyway. It was easier than I thought, once the door was apart. I had assumed the door latch would have to come out, but it didn't. Once the door was all the way apart, I just unthreaded that grub screw in the handle (through the small hole in the side of the door - long hex driver) and the handle assembly came apart. Cleaned up the surfaces, fitted the new handle and tightened it back up. The body shop did a great job with the color, they used the Audi color code and it is an exact match. Best of all, no Channel 52 VCDS error code any more! I'm testing the lock/unlock and battery drain now. I'm going to do the driver's door tomorrow and take photos as I go (forgot to do that today).
Old 07-01-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Replace driver door handle

Driver's side done today. Here's a DIY writeup.
Attached Files
Old 09-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Driver's side done today. Here's a DIY writeup.
This is a fabulous write up. It's awesome that you took the time to do this. We all appreciate it!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad this can help someone out! My door handles are consistently working great now. The repair is not that hard either. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by deadcandance
This is a fabulous write up. It's awesome that you took the time to do this. We all appreciate it!
+1 !
Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is also great for those looking to replace the door mirror as well, as all the same bits need to be removed.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Many Thanks for This DIY Writup

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Glad this can help someone out! My door handles are consistently working great now. The repair is not that hard either. Good luck!
I used it a couple of weeks ago to replace my passenger side rear door handle which stopped locking with the button (that's 3 out of 4 on my car, other 2 done under warranty). There were a few differences with the rear door (screw behind tweeter grill, more screws at top, etc.), but overall your procs worked beautifully. It amazes me that AUDI has this grub screw with a port you can access on the door jam, yet you still have to tear down the whole door to actually R&R it. Wahnsinn durch Technik.

Got the handle used here for $24. Already the correct color and works perfectly:

https://eurochopshop.com/product-cat...e=door-handles
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
This is also great for those looking to replace the door mirror as well, as all the same bits need to be removed.
You can replace the mirror without disassembling the door, all you need to do is remove the triangular plastic trim to expose the bolt.

Take the glass out of the mirror, disconnect the loom from inside the mirror one connector at a time and it comes out of the housing still attached to the car. Feed loom back into the new mirror and reconnect. Saves hours of work!

Quick Reply: Driver door handle removal