A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door wont open once unlocked

Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door wont open once unlocked

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if you could help. Yesterday i went to open my car second journey of the day ('57 2007 D3 with keyless entry). As i went upto the driver door to open it as usual it made the unlock click and i pulled the handle but the door did not open. I locked it with the button on the handle and tried again. But nothing happened. It opens fine from the inside and then you can open and close it without any problems, untill you lock it again.

All the other doors are perfectly fine and work no problem. Oviously this is very annoying as i haveto put the window down on the key to be able to get it. I have run VCDS and module 42 came back with fault code - 02115 Locking unit for central locking, 08 Implausable signal.

The only thing i can think of that may have caused it was i stopped off to buy some washer fluid as the low warning symbol had flashed up (A8 drinks loads of it) and when i was pouring it into the resovior i managed to spill some, this is fairly close to the drivers door and may have worked its way towards some electrics, It was the time after that when i went to open it that it stopped working. So im guessing this may have something to do with it.

Is there anything i can do tro check connectors to see if its loose of wet etc, as locking the door with the keyless buttom works fine, and it unlocks fine, the door just wont open.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick update, i had a little play when i got home from work, i fiddled with the connector in the door where it plugs into the rest of the car with no joy. Although in amoungst opening and closing the doors and locking and unlocking the car on the fob and the door handle buttom it opened twice. So i dont know what is happening there.

I did notice that every time i did put my fingers under the handle to open it, the indicators flashed and it made the unlock click sound but still didnt open. Whereas it doesnt do that on the other handles when you move you hand in and out.

As a last ditch effort i changed the battery in the key fob, but that still didnt make a difference, so if anybody can help that would be great.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If the car has had a door opened and closed a lot, VW and Audi's are known to have wires break where they flex near the hinge pivot points. You probably have a broken wire. You will need to use a wiring diagram and check voltages or continuity.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Can't be sure, but possibles...

If I follow your description it sounds like there may a mechanical problem between the handle and the door latch from the outside. Something might have come loose, though on current designs something may have failed parts wise, most likely at or very close to handle. On the other hand, mine had a dead door handle electronically on drivers door early on. More obvious though it was the handle since the push button for the lock just plain didn't work on that one door, but it did on all the others.

If you can't figure it out and want to avoid dealer pricing, a body shop might be in order. Sometimes if it is mechanical a bit of wire or a tie strap can tie linkage back together if a retainer clip or something broke; BTDT. Body shops may do that if you ask them to (and I would in my own garage); dealers would not typically. A caution on A8's is the door handle has to be painted since they come primed only; drives replace cost up a lot if it turns out to need replacing. A body shop might switch painted handle across if do-able; dealers are instructed not to per the TSB's.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any luck on fixing it? My 2006 A8 driver door won't soft close but when first opening (after setting) the motor for soft close does runs. Drivers door locks and unlocks fine but now suddenly button on door handle won't lock door? Unlocks fine when put hand under handle. Rear door lock button works.
I believe the door handle was replaced once so I am thinking a broken wire by door hinges? Anyone have wire layout or codes for driver door wires to check for broken wires? Vagcom say signal missing or malfunction. Mr. Bally?
Roger

Last edited by parkrog2; 04-15-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah i did manage to fix it. Really simply as well. I was just messing around whilst at some lights with the internal lock/unlock button by the door handle i dont know why i was bord and hoped it may do something. I must have pressed te button about 10 or 15 times really fast, unlock/lock/unlock etc. then when i got home i locked the door with they keyless button on the handle, went to open the door, expecting it not to open, but hoping that it would, and it worked.

It was fine for about a week, had the problem again. Did the same thing and it fixed it again. Im not sure it something was loose and doing that fixed it. Its ok at the minute, i hope it stays that way. Hope that helps.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

No. It won't stay that way, it will get worst and than you will be really stacked with blocked lock. Take it apart while you can access it, clean and lubricate, or replace it.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If the car has had a door opened and closed a lot, VW and Audi's are known to have wires break where they flex near the hinge pivot points. You probably have a broken wire. You will need to use a wiring diagram and check voltages or continuity.
dw40 spray oil in door push up against door then it will open