A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric/auto steering wheel adjustment has stopped working

Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electric/auto steering wheel adjustment has stopped working

The electronic steering wheel adjustment has stopped working on my 2004 Audi A8L. I am not sure exactly the time or what was going on when it started to malfunction, but it does not work either by pressing the adjustment **** on the steering column nor does it adjust when the programmable memory seat auto-adjust (in slot #2; I'm #1, naturally! ;-D) is triggered. My girlfriend has, along with a very particular seat position, the steering wheel set at a different telescope depth and Y-axis than I do so I know that it is not the adjustment **** as both the manual and automatic movement do not work.

According to the manual, the fuse for the steering wheel is in slot #40 and is 25 amps. I removed the existing fuse and did not notice any melt/burn or anything else indicating that it blew. Regardless of this I put a new 25-amp fuse in its place and it still does not operate at all.

Any ideas what else it may be? There may have been some DTC code in VCDS but the info is on another computer. However I did reset all DTCs and I did not see one for the steering wheel come back up if indeed there was one. I will check later but, in the mean time, having kept in mind that any codes would've been cleared already, can anyone think of what else the problem may be or any things I should try? It's not absolutely critical, obviously, but it worries me when something electronic like this stops working out of the blue and there's no obvious explanation for it.

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd check the battery voltage before anything else. Maybe charge it up slowly for a while and try again?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...tment-2840431/

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2835645/page2/
Old 04-22-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Basic settings will usually cure this problem.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:51 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by Dino1147
I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd check the battery voltage before anything else. Maybe charge it up slowly for a while and try again?
Battery is in great shape and 100% charged, voltage appears good too. Will double check again though - I tested last a few weeks ago. Checking into other posters ideas as well. Thanks guys
Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Basic settings will usually cure this problem.
+1 btdt
Old 04-23-2018, 01:58 PM
The Transporter

Going to try basic settings now. Will report back!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM
The Transporter

Worked perfectly. Why did the electronic steering adjust stop working anyway? This seems superfluous, or some kind of Audi scheme to get you to visit the dealer, if a simple software routine got it working again.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
Worked perfectly. Why did the electronic steering adjust stop working anyway? This seems superfluous, or some kind of Audi scheme to get you to visit the dealer, if a simple software routine got it working again.

Thanks
Not sure exactly why but even Audi dealers overlooked the procedure often back in the day. That's why this forum is so valuable for us.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by TSHong
Not sure exactly why but even Audi dealers overlooked the procedure often back in the day. That's why this forum is so valuable for us.
Indeed. Pretty crazy.

However, it seems that my steering wheel is "struggling" when it gets closer to the dashboard/instrument cluster, like there's something causing friction. Is there a little area I can spray some lube that is safe without having to take off the casing? I was thinking of removing the casing over the steering column and looking for something I can lubricate (heh, heh) but if I can avoid this and aim in a certain safe area that anyone knows of, I'd appreciate it. I've been on a "lube fest" applying silicon to all my weather seals, grease or WD-40 to the guide-tracks of the seats and the sun-roof, WD-40 on the inside and outside of the hinges on the doors, trunk and hood, etc. So this is somewhere else I think I should target considering the noise. Perhaps the system decided that it was too gummed up and decided not to allow me to tempt fate and burn it out more and thus stopped operation of the auto steering adjust?

-Naudi Guy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric/auto steering wheel adjustment has stopped working