A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency brake malfunction...serious issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake malfunction...serious issues.

Three months ago I got an "Emergency Brake Malfunction" warning light. Everything was working fine, but I had my Indy check it anyway. They replaced brake pads, recalibrated, and cleared the code. It's been fine since, until 3 days ago. My wife was driving on the highway, and the Emergency Brake Malfunction light came on..she heard a "thunk" and the brakes came on, a number of warning lights came on, and the car died. Fortunately she was able to get to the shoulder of the road. I drove up and met her. When I started the car, everything was fine. I got onto a secondary road, and within 10 minutes the same problem: A clunk, Emergency Brake Malfunction, no power (including no power steering) and several additional warning lights came on. Restart the car, and it's fine for 10 minutes...then the problem occurs again.

Car has been with my indy Audi shop for 2 days and all they can tell me is "serious electrical issues" It's a very good shop, and they say it's tough to diagnose because the problem is intermittent. Yesterday the problem occurred every 30 minutes at their shop...today it ran for 5 hours with no problem. They suspect a "module" is the problem, but they are reluctant to put it in as it's a $1400.00 part and they are not sure it's the problem.

Car is a 2008 A8L with 120,000 km (75k miles). Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

"Not enough information" is my reaction. You should get a VCDS (or similar shop equipment) scan of the relevant modules. One guess is the ABS module. But another guess is purely wiring--the loom near the ABS module. Both have been reported as issues with D3. Both could have a temperature related factor. I'm not sure what the electronics are for parking brake--beyond the motor--but another possible there. Maybe even simple lowly brake switch. ... Scan will be much more helpful.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Need more info as MP stated, need scan, which module is $1400?
check out the parking brake module.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...07801&_sacat=0

Old 07-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the info so far. The independent Audi service shop the car is at has done numerous scans but I don't have the results. Car has been in the shop all week. My understanding from what they can determine so far is that there is "general" electrical malfunction that is causing the emergency brake malfunction and other warming lights (e.g. adaptive headlight failure, battery, etc.) to come on. And the car dies. They mentioned the name of the module (ECU?) but I don't recall it. This Audi shop is family owned and has been in business for 26 years. Great reputation and I've had good results with them previously.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry Peter,
But your response does not help us help you as you can not recall what you were told, please get the proper info or scan to post..
Originally Posted by Peter J.
I appreciate the info so far. The independent Audi service shop the car is at has done numerous scans but I don't have the results. Car has been in the shop all week. My understanding from what they can determine so far is that there is "general" electrical malfunction that is causing the emergency brake malfunction and other warming lights (e.g. adaptive headlight failure, battery, etc.) to come on. And the car dies. They mentioned the name of the module (ECU?) but I don't recall it. This Audi shop is family owned and has been in business for 26 years. Great reputation and I've had good results with them previously.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:06 AM
2015 A8L TDI

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

A replacement module is $89 from a dismantler.
I had a Elec Park Brak malfunction and replaced the module located under the battery and problem was solved.